Here's what fixed my macbook connection sharing to touch issue

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by robzr, Oct 12, 2007.

1. robzr

robzr New Member

My macbook ICS had stopped working with my iPod Touch; it would connect, stay online just long enough to open an ssh connection, make about 5 pings, then drop connection. I noticed there was an extra ip alias on en0 (ethernet device). This is what the ifconfig output looked like:

Macbook:~ root# ifconfig en0;ifconfig en1
    en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet 10.0.2.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.0.2.255
    inet6 fe80::217:f2ff:fe33:6fdf%en0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
    inet 192.168.1.103 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
    ether 00:17:f2:33:6f:df
    media: autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>) status: active
    supported media: autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,flow-control> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control> 1000baseT <full-duplex> 1000baseT <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control> none
    en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet6 fe80::217:f2ff:feea:a4ed%en1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5
    inet 10.0.2.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.0.2.255
    ether 00:17:f2:ea:a4:ed
    media: autoselect status: active
    supported media: autoselect

Notice the extra line "inet 10.0.2.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.0.2.255" in en0. This is the same IP that is assigned to en1 (the airport). I don't know how it was assigned to en0, as I have only manually assigned it to en1.

So the 802.11 was working, but there was a routing snafu, the fix was:

Macbook:~ root# ifconfig en0 -alias 10.0.2.1

No more problems, the problem was persistant over a reboot, and I don't know how this was put in there. Must have been done via the GUI, as I didn't do any manual route/ifconfig commands in the recent past. I've read a lot of reports of people having the same problem, this may be something to check out.

Rob
  2. MTBPatriot

MTBPatriot New Member

Not to sound like too much of a noob, but how did you apply that fix?

I'm currently using Mac Connection Sharing and my connection is as flimsy as can be.. it loads one website then stops and loads indefinitely.

Also, how did you get the SSH to work? The Wifi address for me is 10.0.2.2 and it never connects through Terminal
  3. robzr

robzr New Member

Run the ifconfig commands as root in Terminal. Look to see if the IP that you have assigned to en1 is also showing up in the description for en0. If it is, then run, as root:

ifconfig en0 -alias the_ip

Before addressing ssh, can you ping your Touch?

Macbook:~ robzr$ ping 10.0.2.2
    PING 10.0.2.2 (10.0.2.2): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 10.0.2.2: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=2.299 ms
    64 bytes from 10.0.2.2: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=1.661 ms

If you're not getting a consistent, ongoing ping, then you have to address network connectivity issues first. If you are, then have you followed the sshd installation instructions at http://www.touchdev.net/wiki/Jailbreak_Guide ?

Rob
  4. Mrn

Mrn New Member

hello. i am having similar problem. question:
    after creating a network should it be possible to ping the touch from the MacBook?
    coz' no internet sharing, no pinging, nothng works. but the touch seems to be connected. thnx, mrn
  5. foobrain

foobrain New Member

Hi. I am also having problems with connectivity on my 8GB iPod Touch, with connection shared by my C2D Macbook. I've checked with ifconfig, but both wired and wireless interfaces have only one IP address; but then, I can't receive more than 5 or 6 ping replies just after I connect the Touch to the network.

WEP is disabled, but the same happens when I enable it.

Sometimes it works (I was able to install AppTapp and a couple of programs, but it was a pain to download SummerBoard for example -- I had to connect and disconnect lots of times so the download finished and the thing got installed), but only enough to open a simple web page or install a small package (<100kb or so).

My wireless router fried some time ago, and I am considering buying another one. With two laptop computers in the house, plus the Touch, that would be probably the best alternative. But in the meantime, I'd like to play with my new toy and, perhaps, try to develop something.

I am a newbie in OS X and iPods, although I am a very experienced Linux user (using the Terminal is no problem for me). I don't know much about network administration, though, so sum that with my newbieness and you get a very frustrated user

Please Register or Log in to view images

And, last, but not least: I am running Leopard (10.5.1) on my Macbook, and firmware version 1.1.1 on my iPod Touch (8GB). I don't know much yet about iPod revisions, but mine was purchased last month in an Apple store; it came with this firmware, I've then upgraded to 1.1.2 and then restored it back to 1.1.1, as it seems this is more "hackable".