Help?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ahuman66, Jun 18, 2010.

1. ahuman66

ahuman66 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yesterday, I very stupidly dropped my itouch 2g into the toilet (don't ask). It was there for 2 seconds max, I pulled it out as fast as I could. I immediately put into a bowl of rice, and I also checked that the litmus paper in the headphone jack was still white. I will also admit I tried to turn on the ipod several times.

So, what should I do? Wait more for the rice to soak up more moisture? Or should I send it to Apple to be replaced?
  2. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    If you tried to turn it on and fail most likely the insides short circuited. Btw look at the litmus paper very carefully. If there is a nanometer of red/pink Apple won't accept it.
  3. Xgin

Xgin New Member

shut it off right away and remove any access covers it has. set it down in front of a fan and turn it around and over every couple of hours for the next day or so. What you are trying to do is get all the water out of the inside of the case.

It's very common for electronic devices to be permanently damaged when submerged in water. In this case, you may have only had it short a few of the integrated circuits, which explains why some features work fine and some don't. The key to finding out if the condition is permanent is to first dry it out completely before you power it back up. then you need to reset the device to its original factory settings. When the water contacts the metal circuits, electricity can take a short cut through the water instead of on its intended path. sometimes that short cut just changes a setting, other times it causes permanent damage to the circuit.
  4. peebrian202869

peebrian202869 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch

Bowl of rice works better.
  5. ahuman66

ahuman66 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I tried plugging it in this morning - it's been about 48 hours - and it still doesn't work. I'm afraid it short-circuited or something?
  6. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Keep it OFF. For at least a week.

Generally electronics aren't damaged by being in water if they have no electrical current (I've washed my phone without the battery as a test; it recovered). Keep it off, in rice. For like a week. Let it dry, and it will hopefully be fully normal.
  7. ahuman66

ahuman66 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    hmmm....
    What if I tried to turn it on a few times?
  8. ahuman66

ahuman66 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Anybody have any advice? Its been 4 days, no response.
  9. ahuman66

ahuman66 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I plugged it in today, and I was suprised to see a white screen. However, it wasn't solid white and there faint dots spread over the upper half over the screen. I'm afraid something went wrong in the ipod. What should I do?