[HELP...]XP, Safe Mode. Linux. Questions!

Discussion in 'Graphics, Design, and Photography' started by Appstore 2.0, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Appstore 2.0

Appstore 2.0 New Member

If you have XP you probably know ALOT more than me about it. I'm very basic when it comes to computers and "hacking" my iPod touch is as nerdy/experimental as it gets.

Basically, my computer SUCKS when i boot it up normally, i.e. not in Safe mode. When i AM in safe mode the computer is as fast as it was on day 1. If not quicker o.o

My question is... Can i get a safe mode like option on the full version? I.e. make the WHOLE of XP load up, but with minimal drivers (like safe mode) but also in VGA... because everything is bigger in safe mode, and alot more pixelated. Also firefox isn't FULL firefox, nor are the features of safe mode.

So yeah, i want to have my computer functioning normally again but i want to cheat the system by basically using Safe Mode to boot every time... minimal drivers and all that. But i also want it to be the 'full' version if you get my meaning.

P.s. i know about run>msconfig and then choose drivers manually but i'm not sure this would fix the problem of XP being SLOOOOW. So is there like an option where i can have the same drivers as Safe mode?

ANOTHER QUESTION.

I want to boot Linux on my computer. Not dual boot. If the above problem can't be fixed i want to do a complete system restore and because i don't have my XP CD key that came with the computer i'd be f'd because i haven't backed up the registary. So is it possible to completely reformat my computer and then pop in a CD with ubuntu on it and boot linux from that CD and start my computer from the very beginning (downloading iTunes, setting up accs etc)?
  2. MrBrightside

MrBrightside Active Member

So your XP is slow? I dont really get why unless you have a reaaaaaly bad computer. Maybe you have a virus or driver problems. Is there anyway you could move stuff on another drive, reinstall and put everything back on XP? I read it a while ago, but I'm sure theres ways of finding out your XP key if you cant find it.

(Wrong section btw

Please Register or Log in to view images

)
  3. Appstore 2.0

Appstore 2.0 New Member

Yeah I know I'm using my iPod touch so I picked the wrong section. My computer specs aren't great but they used to be able run the basics ie firefox and iTunes but it can't even do that now so I'm guessing it's a virus but I have used at least 3 scanners now including avg avira and norton but still no luck... So ad for your question well I dunoo you tell me ...LOL
  4. MrBrightside

MrBrightside Active Member

Hmmm, then I advise (if you can) try a reinstall of XP. Im guessing you've had it for a while and so it could be natural that its slow through time.

I suppose you could try disk defragmentation. Windows has a tool to do that or you can download versions. And also disk cleanup (Y) That will clean things up and make some space which could be it.
  5. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    yeah i do this every few months when my computer gets bogged down.

backup all your data that you will need onto an external drive or something and write down all your programs youll need and then reinstall xp, this will erase all your data on that partition and reinstall windows. then you restore everything and its nice and fast again

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. Monkey Jam

Monkey Jam New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    before you boot Ubuntu..just to warn you there is no native iTunes for linux. you have to use wine, and I dont think you can sync iPod. and defo not iPhone/iPod Touch (due to HFS+ and mobile OS X)
  7. Appstore 2.0

Appstore 2.0 New Member

Ok. Thanks guys, i'm glad you took the time to help me.

I messed around with some Msconfig to basically get it so it's like Safe Mode, but i have no virus protection except for Zone Alarm.

I'm not too fussed though, i just want the basics : firefox and iTunes. Everything else isn't necessary.

But i'd still love to completely reformat my harddrive, is there anyone here who can give me clear step by step instructions, also do i need the xp CD disk (i have 0 disks that came with the computer).