Help with System App Icon Customization

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by AlecPage, Jul 15, 2009.

1. AlecPage

AlecPage New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hey guys, I'm hoping some of you can help me out here. I'm trying to customize some of my icons, and I have a few questions:

Question #1
    Where are system app icons stored? I want to edit the icons of apps like Voice Memos and Nike+iPod, but I can't find their icons in my iPod's directory (I'm using SSH/SFTP with Transmit to browse)

Question #2
    If in fact there is no way to find and edit those files, I take it I can always just add icons to my theme's icons folder and they'll just overwrite whatever system icons exist. I tried this with apps I've downloaded, but not yet with system apps. I tried to with the Nike+iPod app–which in Categories is titled just "Nike"–by adding my custom icon (titled Nike.png) to the /Library/Themes/Icons folder, but it didn't work. Doing the same thing worked for apps like Remote, Weatherbug, and Facebook, but I think that the reason it failed with Nike+iPod is that the others are 3rd party apps, whereas Nike+iPod is a system app (cannot be deleted, etc...) But I've seen themes (in fact, the theme I use does) that change system apps like calculator, mail, calendar, etc... So... my question is: How do you change the icon for system apps, specifically for Nike+iPod? Am I simply naming the .png file incorrectly?
  2. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Stock applications can be found at /private/var/stash/Applications and there will be an "icon.png" that needs to be replaced if you decide to go this route.

Nike+iPod shows up on the springboard as just "Nike" too? Or only in Categories? Icons in WinterBoard themes need to have the same name that appears on the springboard, however some apps have been troublesome in the past (such as The Force Unleashed). Try a few different names like "Nike+.png" or "Nike+iPod.png" etc.
  3. AlecPage

AlecPage New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks!

Great. That worked. Awesome. Still one small issue though. When I navigate to /private/var/stash/Applications and go into the specific folders, the .png icon files are there, but I can't open them. I get the following error message in Photoshop: "Could not complete your request because the file-format module cannot parse the file." Do I need to change the file extension? I've tried editing directly on the iPod and also by dragging to the desktop and then editing, and neither way allows me to open the file. Any ideas?
  4. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
  5. AlecPage

AlecPage New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Great, thanks a lot! That worked. I owe you one.

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Not a problem at all.

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. dg645

dg645 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah, thanks.