Help with setting up a repository

Discussion in 'Mobile Web Development' started by Someone1guy, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Someone1guy

Someone1guy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hello,

I am trying to setup a source to host some ebooks. I have searched the forums, read some guides, etc etc. While there does some to be info out there, it is few-and-far between (or I am retarded, very real posibility there).

I have written and posted up my xml file with what I believe all the correct info. I have 1 zip file that is listed in the XML. The source shows up just fine in the installer, as well as the category I added and that one lonely file. However, when I go to install the zip file, it will download the file, but after the download progress reachs 100% and it tries to install, the following error displays: "Error: Main script execution failed". As far as I know the directory structure in the zip is correct and is per the XML. The file was zipped in Linux (however if someone knows the exact console command I need to use that would be great).

Anyhow, any help is greatly appriciated!
    The XML: http://inrp.evewebspace.net/books/repo.xml
    The ZIP: http://inrp.evewebspace.net/books/ringworld.zip
    (The host is just a handy space I had and not the actual location where the source will reside)

Thanks in advance!
    Beau
  2. plethera21

plethera21 New Member

Same issue

I have the same exact issue as you. I've looked everywhere for help and have nearly tried every combination XML and zip file. I've used a terminal command to zip the ebook and triple checked the plist, but I get the same error as you.
  3. homeruntilly

homeruntilly New Member

i don't know if anyone has heard, but im testing out someone on this forums PHP/MySql Database Repo Script. Works pretty well. i just submitted some bugs, but i'm sure when he fixes them, he will post it up here.
  4. Someone1guy

Someone1guy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Holy Buckets, Batman!

I got it to work! There does seem to be some credence to the theory that zipping the files in Linux works, 'cause that is what I did. I tried winrar, 7-zip and winzip on a good zip file done by someone else. Of those 4 files only the original worked (the one done by someone else, the "control copy" for those science majors out there). Then I get in linux, open up Ark (my zip program) zip the files, upload to server, installed PERFECTLY. None of the XML was altered (other than the file size corresponding to each specific file).

So there you have it. I know that people have zipped files fine under windows (Shotgunfool said that he used winrar, and it worked for him), but I am just letting you know what worked for me.

Let's hope that I can keep the momentum.

Someoneguy
  5. bddckr

bddckr Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    How to zip to get it working with installer (you are using windows):

Get this:
    http://scythal.googlepages.com/zip.zip

Extract anywhere you want to. In this folder you just copy your files you want to zip.

Open cmd and type in this command:
    zip FileNameOfCreatedZip FileToAdd FileToAdd2 FileToAdd3

Make sure that you won't use the prefix ".zip" for the name.
    This will make a zip called "FileNameOfCreatedZip.zip" inside the folder of the zip.exe.

If you want to include a folder use this command:
    zip -r FileNameOfCreatedZip FolderToAdd FileToAdd FolderToAdd2

Thanks goes to Scythal.
    He made it so you can use the "zip" command like on linux. To get all the options of this command go here:
    http://linux.about.com/od/commands/l/blcmdl1_zip.htm
  6. God__

God__ New Member

Someone1guy, your source will be obsolete with the next updated version of Installer. Take a look at the iPodTouchFans Repository http://www.touchrepo.com/repo.xml and see what you're missing.

[hint! - it's the hash tag. Installer will be making that necessary with the next upgrade. How do I know this? Open up installer and scroll down to the bottom of the "Featured" page.
  7. bddckr

bddckr Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    And to get the hash of the zip google for "md5 sum".
  8. Someone1guy

Someone1guy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thank you to both of you for you help. I will make sure to go back over my xml and add those in, ASAP. Any idea of when the next release of the installer will be put out, as I am on vacation and am hoping that it won't come out until after I return!

Thanks for you help!
  9. Geekgod4

Geekgod4 New Member

Its Out Now, Lol

Please Register or Log in to view images