help with IPSW.exe

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by iPodhacker2G, Mar 28, 2009.

1. iPodhacker2G

iPodhacker2G New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hello everyone, I was wondering if any developer could help me find out what is wrong with this batch file for IPSW.exe
  2. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    you don't spend a lot of time with windows directory/path syntax do you?
  3. gpag12

gpag12 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hey Chris, can you actually tell us what is wrong, instead of bragging about your l33tness? I was wondering the same thing as iPodhacker2G.

Edit: My batch file is different though. Before i touched it, it looked like this:
    ipsw.exe "IPSW/OriginalFW.ipsw" "IPSW/JB.ipsw" -s 700 FirmwareBundles\Cydia.tar
    but then i downloaded the installer tarball and added it to the firmware bundles folder, so i changed the batch file to:
    ipsw.exe "IPSW/OriginalFW.ipsw" "IPSW/JB.ipsw" -s 700 FirmwareBundles\Cydia.tar FirmwareBundles\Installer.tar
  4. ZunePod

ZunePod Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    It should be:

@echo
    echo RedScare 2.2.1

pause

ipsw "OriginalFW.ipsw" "JB.ipsw" -nowipe -s 750 -b Firmwarebundles\logo.png -r Firmwarebundles\recovery.png FirmwareBundles\Cydia.tar Firmwarebundles\Installer.tar
    echo Done!

pause

You got the slashes the wrong way round and your variables are silly names. Plus you don't need to write a batch file from VB, you can do it straight from VB:

Shell("cmd.exe /k ipsw original.ipsw patched.ipsw [FLAGS such as -nowipe -b -r etc] bundles\Cydia.tar ....")
  5. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Can you show me where I bragged about 'l33tness'? And just for that, no

Please Register or Log in to view images

That isn't the best way to do anything, you're just going to completely maul your UI by doing that. ipsw.exe will use your UI's process and main thread to execute and you will get one hell of a freeze.

The better way would be to do this:

Code:
    Imports System.Threading

Dim p as New Process
    With p
    [INDENT]p.StartInfo.WorkingDirectory = "Path\To\Directoy\Of\Executable\"
    p.StartInfo.FileName = "Path\To\ipsw.exe"
    p.StartInfo.UseShellExecute = False
    p.StartInfo.CreateNoWindow = True
    p.Start
    [/INDENT]
    End With
    That probably isn't exactly right, I'm not looking at any of my source, but process creation/manipulation is fundamental. You can also do redirects and things in order to grab output or to send input etc.