Help with ipod touch case for 2g/3g

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by bobsmith28, Jan 15, 2010.

1. bobsmith28

bobsmith28 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    New to the forums. Did A LOT of research on cases and skins, so on. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the switcheasy neotouch and the incase slider. I only would enjoy responses from someone with experience with either or both cases. I don't care about packins, but the neotouch seems to not cover past a lot of the bezel, which i like, unlike the slider. I'm not sure of this though, but i know overall the neotouch is thicker. Is it considered bulky? I like that the neotouch has a dock adapter, while you have to remove a part for the slider, helping contribute to the scratches many people claim? Will it scratch the ipod? Any other thoughts about the cases would be appreciated.
  2. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i bought the neotouch, hated it, rubbed agaisnt my pockets whenver i put it in or out. go with zagg invisible sheild.
  3. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

The Slider covers none of the bezel - the NeoTouch DOES cover the bezel, because it clamps on around said bezel to touch the screen. The NeoTouch and the Slider are about the same thickness, with the Slider being a tad bulkier.

And yes, there are plenty of reports of the Slider scratching the back of the iPod - the rubber rails inside WILL wear away, and the plastic beneath it which flanks the rubber rails will end up touching the iPod back... as will any crap that gets caught between the case and the iPod, which will usually enter either from the bottom or when the Slider case is opened to allow docking.

I'd suggest looking at what your requirements are from a case - do you want something to protect it from drops, or just something to protect the back? How much bulk are you willing to consider in return? Do you need button coverage? Does the case have to be able to dock? Items like that are important to look at.

For example, minimum bulk + no drop protection + easy to dock would usually mean something like either a skin for the back of the iPod or an PowerSupport Air Jacket or an Incipio Feather which is just a metal shell that clamps onto the bezel but leaves said bezel (and everything else) exposed. If you need bezel protection, the Candyshell isn't the best choice as it leaves more of the bezel exposed than even the Incase Slider but provides excellent back protection.

There's also the RebelTouch (silicon-like plastic/frame combo), the NeoTouch (inner silicone skin with two plastic frames which clamp onto and around the bezel, but can be a pain to put on), the Countour Flick (bottom part slides open, no button protection), the Switcheasy Colors (comes with docking adapter and Dock Connector protector, but makes the iPod thicker due to the silicone), and so forth.
  4. bobsmith28

bobsmith28 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I would easily go for the incipio feather or air jacket if they were dockable, which you said they were easy to dock...? Do they remove easily, or will it fit in the iphone adapter?
  5. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

The Feather's a plastic shell, even. Not very protective, but good enough to keep the back from getting scuffed up in your pocket. They're extremely easy to remove, since they just clip onto the bezel... and I think they may very well fit into the iPhone adapter, although the shape's a bit wrong for it.