help with iconoclasm, boot loop

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by ithinkmynameisbob, Jun 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ithinkmynameisbob

ithinkmynameisbob New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    • Illegal/piracy-related discussions
    you should know:
    i have an ipod touch 1g
    running 3.1.2
    jailbroken with blackra1n
    my home button doesnt work (so after arranging icons i have to push sleep button)

my Predicament:
    last night i was going through the [redacted] repo and i saw iconoclasm, i thought it was cool how it said that i could "break free from rows and collums" and just place them anywhere i wanted, so i downloaded it. i enabled the "Experimental" option to put them where ever and i restared my springboard, while it was restarting i red the part on the bottom whre it says recomended for ipod touch 3g users (this is where i said oh crap) the screen turned off and i turned it back on but it took a while to get to the lockscreen.
    all my icons were where i had left them, so tried them out making sure that none were overlapping so i couldng push them, i found one so i moved it and then pushed the sleep button to confirm the icon placement and it didnt turn back on, then all of a sudden while im falling asleep i see it flash and the apple boot logo is there so i go check it and im there for about an 15 min till it goes black then flashes white for second then the boot logo is back.
    i let it go all night (with out being plugged it) hoping that it would go to the lockscreen but it didnt.
    i looked around on this forum looking for a solution and saw this thread:

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101510

i did method 2 but it didnt work and im currently trying to ssh into my ipod again to try method 1 but i cant even ssh into now please help me

edit: i cant restore because itunes is not picking up and if it does it says something about an "invalid response was recieved from the device"

~if you read this please leave a reply or something that way i know at least some one is reading this~
  2. Naveen121

Naveen121 Well-Known Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Okay. Usually the best way to fix a boot loop is to restore. Since your iPod is not being recognised by iTunes every single time. You need to put it in DFU mode. DFU mode = Device Firmware Update mode

DFU mode is a mode where the iPod Touch/iPhone will be made to force a restore of the firmware into whatever version firmware it is given.

Getting your iPod Touch/iPhone into DFU mode is somewhat tricky, and it may require some patience/practice because timing is essential to get it to DFU mode and not into recovery mode.

1. First, Open up iTunes, plug in your iPod Touch/iPhone to the CPU's USB port. Turn on your CPU's speaker and make sure it is loud enough that you can hear it.

2. Hold down the Home button (top left for iPod Touch and top right for the iPhone with the screen facing you) and the Power button (located on the front bottom of your iPod Touch/iPhone) simutaneously, until the screen goes black and the device turns off. (past the red slider/slide to power off screen)

3. Now let go of the Power button, but continue to hold the Home button. Your iPod Touch/iPhone should have turned off and the screen should not be on.

4. After around ~10-20 seconds, you will hear a noise (beep/ding) from your CPU as if it had just recognized a new hardware device, now iTunes should recognize it in DFU mode.

5. After iTunes recognizes the iPod Touch/iPhone, let go of the Home button otherwise it will go into recovery mode and you will have to do the entire DFU process over again.

6. You will know when you have put your iPod Touch/iPhone correctly into DFU mode when the display is blank and that you do not have anything on your device.

And you are done, now you can install any iPod Touch/iPhone firmware on to your device via the iTunes SHIFT recovery method.
  3. Appman

Appman Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    That repo you mentioned is against the rules. I would recommend buying the app next time.
  4. Naveen121

Naveen121 Well-Known Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah. That could also be part of your problem. Pirated applications may sometimes be missing some data that affects how they run. Just buy your apps next time. Also check the compatibility before you download anything.
  5. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Buy the app. Old pirated version usually causes problems solved in legit updated one.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.