Help with Categories App

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by 87gsxr711, Nov 14, 2009.

1. 87gsxr711

87gsxr711 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have a 2G touch running 2.2.1, jailbroke with resdn0w 0.3. Everything has been going great. Today I installed categories from Cydia. I added an Apps folder and added a number of applications to that folder, including Categories and Cydia. When I respring, the newly created Apps folder is nowhere to be found, but all of the apps I put in the folder are gone from the springboard. Now I can't remove my applications from the folder to get them back on my springboard because Categories is in the folder that is missing. What do I do now???
  2. Cydiaia

Cydiaia Banned

Device:
    iPhone
    Have you tried uninstalling categorys from cydia? then installing it back?
  3. jtknives

jtknives New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    From what i have read, i have heard that it is very bad to put the Categories app in a folder. i have Categories but have not put it in a folder so i cant tell you. its just what i have heard on line.
  4. taptaptouch

taptaptouch Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    if you have cydia in that folder your screwed unless you have sbsettings
    if you have sb settings put cydia in the dock and launch it and remove/reinstall categories
  5. Cl8rs

Cl8rs Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Your not screwed yet, just get a an app launcher from Cydia(Appflow, Quickgold, etc).
  6. Screamworks

Screamworks Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Do you read?
    He said he put Cydia into a folder.

Okay, heres my method, but it depends on if you have OpenSSH installed on your device.

Download the application Cyder here (Cyder) and follow steps ONE to FIVE on this tutorial, then, search (in Cyder) for "POOF". Once found, tick the box next to it and follow steps SEVEN to THIRTEEN on the tutorial.

If it works, you will have the app POOF. (sometimes you need to restart your device a few more times for it to show up.) Open POOF, and scroll through the list of apps and look for Cydia and Categories, and make sure that they say the OPPOSITE of what they are currently showing. (So if when you open POOF, it says Cydia and Categories are ON, then turn them OFF, or vice versa).
    Then reboot and respring (if you can [you need SBSettings]), and your apps should be back, then, just open Categories, delete the folder, and be done with that app. (I prefer PogoPlank.)

Contact me with a PM if that doesnt work, and I can provide a little more complex, but should work, tutorial.

(Also, before trying anything anyone says, have you just tried restarting your device? Im not trying to sound condesending but sometimes it works.)

Hope It Helps.
  7. 87gsxr711

87gsxr711 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks Everyone

I did manage to get it figured out. Unfortunately I am not sure exactly what did it, or if it was a combinatin of things. Since Cydia was in teh folder that disappeared I was unable to get any apps I didn't already have. Fortunalty I did have SBSetttings and OpenSSH. I had not used SSH yet, so I learned pretty quick. I was able to get in and sure enough, all of the games were still there but all of the apps I tired to put in the Categories Apps folder were no where to be found. I found one suggestion to delet a particular springboard file and respring, but I couldn't get the respring command to work. I tired a combination of Poof and Dock multiple time but nothing seemed to work. I finally did a hard reboot and all the apps came back to the springboard. One wierd thing, when I went back in to Categories, all the apps were still shown in the Apps folder. I promptly removed them, deleted the Apps folder, and haven't touched Categories since. Not sure I will after all that. I was a few days of holding my breath for sure.

Thanks to everyone for their input.
  8. CharginMiLazor

CharginMiLazor New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I had this problem, then like 8 hours later the folders appeared on my SB..