Help with 2G damnit...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by imranh101, Mar 29, 2010.

1. imranh101

imranh101 Active Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    Hey guys, was using my 2G 3.1.2 JB iPod with no problem today
    However I turned it on 5 minutes ago and the backlight isn't working, just out of the blue!
    So, shining the light correctly, I was able to see the buttons to fumble around in the settings, tried resetting settings, turning on and off autobright, and sliding the brightness multiple times to no avail.
    I reran blackra1n so it would enter recovery and maybe work but now its just stuck showing the connect to itunes screen. What the f***...
    Help please.
  2. br0adband

br0adband New Member

Backlights DO go bad, yanno. It could be just that simple. If you can see everything working, and it responds to touch, plays tunes, etc, the speaker works, the headphones work, everything is functional except the backlight, then you've got a dead backlight.

Simple.
  3. SoBe

SoBe Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Do you still have a warranty?
  4. imranh101

imranh101 Active Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    Well I bought it LESS than a year ago at Target, so I assumed that the backlight wouldn't have gone bad already... And I'm not sure if I am still under warranty, I'm downloading the 3.1.2 (I already bought it, only downloading because only itunes option is to update to 3.1.3!), when it's done i will DFU-restore it to 3.1.2 and hope the backlight is working... this happened once before but it came back on when i plugged it in i think :/ which i tried
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    just looked for my box which would hopefully have the reciept in it...
    Couldn't find it, buy my mom might have it somewhere. If the restoring doesn't fix it and no one else has ideas I'll ask her
    restore didnt work any ideas now please

Please Register or Log in to view images

SOMEBODY HELP ME IM FREAKIN OUT OVER HERE
    My parents will kill me if I can't fix this because they'll think i dropped it or something, which I didnt. They'll think it's my irresponsibility and they wont get me another ipod for a couple years, and probably wont let me get this one repaired (which is out of warranty on April 26th)
  5. eats7

eats7 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    had the same problem with my 2g. when i lightly tapped the ipod, the screenlight went off. had a hell of a time with walmart because i didnt have my reciept. fortunatly i found it, payed the difference and got a 3g 32 gig. if you find your reciept, pressure the retailer into getting you a new one, don't take no for an answer. good luck
  6. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

It's a hardware issue, a restore won't help. The only thing you can do is bring it to Apple/wherever you bought it from and see what they can do. Or.. you can buy a replacement screen+backlight and replace it yourself.
  7. br0adband

br0adband New Member

It's under warranty? Oh geez... take it to the Apple Store in your area and get it replaced, pronto, done deal, no harm no foul.
  8. imranh101

imranh101 Active Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    Well I guess I'll try to find the reciept but if I can't since it's still in warranty can i just take it to the apple stor and have em replace?
    And it's A common question but all I have to do I restore?
    Oh and a couple more questions
    to return to apple store would I need original packaging as in the pastic casing it comes in
    and also they would give me an iPod with 3.1.3 unhackable, wouldn't they...?
  9. dmandan2112

dmandan2112 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    My guess is that yes you will get a 3g 3.1.3. However I doubt that they would require the original packaging especially because not many people keep those kinds of things.
  10. br0adband

br0adband New Member

Bring proof of purchase or an ID that shows the name of the owner that registered it at purchase (if that was done, usually is if it's bought at an Apple Store) and the iPod touch itself, you don't need to bring anything else with you.

They'll just do a swap for the busted one with a new one, same model, and it'll almost certainly have 3.1.3 on it, nothing you can do about that.