Help! Wi-Fi Will Not Connect [linksys]

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Jaeh, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaeh

Jaeh New Member

Hello there,

I can not get my iPod Touch connected up to the internet. I have a Linksys WRT54GS v.6 router. I have tried:

• Resetting my router to factory settings.
    • Un-Securing my network
    • Changing my security settings from WEP to WPA-Personal. I have also tried making a simple network key.
    • My router works fine with the 4 laptops and 1 computer that is in the house.
    • I have tried disconnecting all the other machines form the internet so only the iTouch is connected.
    • Resetting the iTouch
    • Setting up the connection manually by clicking 'Other...'
    • Clicking renew lease

The IP address shows on the iTouch as: 169.254.239.144 and the subnet mask 255.255.0.0 and the rest are blank.

Someone in the neighborhood has an unsecure NETGEAR I have tried connecting to it for an experiment and it connected to the internet fine.
  2. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Try going to your ipod's wifi settings and set the DNS to the same thing as the Router (since you have a linksys, it should be 192.168.1.1).

Just delete everything else in the DNS box.
  3. Jaeh

Jaeh New Member

Thanks for the suggestion danls! =] However, it still dosn't work. When I enter in the DNS (same as router) the rest of the fields (ie. IP address) show nothing.
  4. fashionablylate

fashionablylate New Member

Same problem.

I'm having the exact same problem. I have the same Linksys WRT54GS router and the IP address and subnet mask are coming up the same as yours.
    I have done everything you've tried and it still won't connect for me as well.
    It's so frustrating.
    I don't understand.
  5. Nigel Shannon

Nigel Shannon New Member

I have the same problem with my Linksy router, and would appreciate any help to try to resolve this problem
  6. Travis3933

Travis3933 New Member

EDIT:NVM found out
  7. Steelreserve

Steelreserve New Member

I thought I read somewhere that the ipod doesnt have WPA support. I just have to take off my password settings etc.. Also you might wanna check how many DHCP users can connect to your router at one time. Should be on the main page when you type in 192.168.1.1 into your url and enter your password (usually admin / admin). Scroll to the bottom and make sure you have set enough DHCP users to be able to connect.

And I believe to see your DNS you go all the way to the right side of the list. Click Status. and it should show you there.
  8. Jaeh

Jaeh New Member

I have checked and my DHCP and up to 50 users can connect, however as mentioned before I have had 5 machines connected, and as mentioned before I have disconnected all of these to see if the iTouch would work. Still no result.

I was thinking of calling up LinkSys however after reading other forums I fear that they will just pass the blame over to apple, and apple will do the same with LinkSys.
  9. EmeraldICE

EmeraldICE New Member

I have the same router.
    Here's what I did:

I turned on the touch and went to WIFI settings and it automatically saw the network, so I tapped it and then it asked for the password, so I put in the loooong WEP code and then it automatically connected. =/
  10. Jaeh

Jaeh New Member

Ye, I think everyone who has had this problem has tried that lol. That is the first thing I did, may I ask your router settings as maybe your router is on a certain setting that ours is not.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.