iPhone 3GS Help - Unlocking iPhone 3GS on 3.1.2 freezes device

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by achandel, Mar 24, 2010.

1. achandel

achandel New Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Hi, I've posted here before and I've always gotten satisfactory results, and I've helped whenever possible.

I have a jailbroken iPhone 3GS on 3.1.2 with AT&T (with the good bootrom and unlockable baseband). About two months ago, I unlocked it just for the hell of it and didn't experience any problems.

Incident 1:
    A week or so ago, after I installed Insomnia, my iPhone spontaneously froze and demanded a reboot. It subsequently refused to boot, staying on the apple logo and eventually displaying the spinning wheel of death. I couldn't SSH, AFC/AFP, or anything else onto it, so I eventually restored it to a brandnew 3.1.2 firmware from PwnageTool.

However, as soon as it booted, I noticed it didn't connect to the cell service, instead displaying in the topleft corner a single bar and no carrier logo. However, wifi and bluetooth still worked. I fiddled with it in vain, and eventually reasoned to reinstall blacksn0w in hopes of getting the radio to work again. After I rebooted it (it was on "Searching..." forever and behaving sluggishly, although it said that CommCenter restarted successfully and it didn't need a reboot on the install screen), everything worked fine again. However, I got the same freezing error when rebooting after installing MobileSubstrate (which is wayy too robust to have caused the problem).

Incident 2:
    After running through an identical restoring process (and checking the MD5 sums of all firmwares, etc), I got the same no-network problem. After reinstalling the unlock tool, I went to the settings app (which was behaving extremely slowly). Bluetooth was apparently 'unavailable', and it froze when I touched the Usage tab.

^ My tale of woe.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Help! thank you in advance!

p.s. if you need any additional information just ask