Help!...Two new ipod touches dead in 24 hours

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by provlima, Nov 29, 2008.

1. provlima

provlima New Member

Purchased a new ipod 32GB 2d Gen ipod touch on Mon. 11/24. Worked okay till Friday 11/28.
    When I tried to sync with new additions, a warning came up “the ipod could not be updated, an unknown error occurred (9)” That was followed by a windows vista warning “USB device not recognized”

When I disconnected the touch I found that it could not be started. Tried a forced restore pressing the sleep switch and the home button together. That did not work.

Brought the touch to my apple store genius bar and they couldn’t get it to work. They switched the ipod with a new one. Brought the new one home connected it registered it and it received the software download okay. But when I tried to sync the same problem repeated…the two pop up warnings as before and a second dead ipod!

I then synced my ipod classic with no problems, so it appears the itunes software is okay. I’ve scheduled another appointment with the local apple store genius bar again.

This is a frustrating problem..anyone ever heard of something like this before??
    Any help suggestions appreciated
  2. MANOWAR©

MANOWAR© Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    when you are done syncing are you ejecting it first, then using the Safely remove hardware icon in the system tray to undock it from Vista then removing the cable or are you just unplugging it? You can try uninstalling iTunes totally and reinstalling it.
  3. yankees101

yankees101 Banned

thats fuked up... try reintalling itunes or using a different computer. never heard about that before
  4. JAD

JAD New Member

Sounds USB related or if your first one got fried, possibly a hardware problem either usb or the cable. (did you use the same cable both times?) Have a look at Apple's suggestions: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275
  5. B2TheEYo

B2TheEYo New Member

Odd, it's possible your USB is literally frying them. But if that were true, your original iPod would suffer the same fiat.

It's definitely USB related, try using a different cable (one supplied with the Touch, not your iPod classic cable, as it appears the pins are different in almost every iPod's included cable from model to model).

Also try using a different PC or USB port on you're computer. If you are using a external powered USB hub, try using a port built into the PC.

I think if you try all those suggestions you'll definitely narrow down the issue.

Good luck!
  6. provlima

provlima New Member

The saga continues..Can corrupted itunes software do this?????

Guys, thank you for taking the time out to offer help!
    Here's an update and additional info
    When I took the fried touch back to the Apple genius bar, it was switched out again. Itwas activated (by the initial step ipod touch software download on their computer.
    I brought my laptop with me so we could test the syncing. The syncing proceded initially for several minutes, and then the dreaded pop up warnings appeared
    “the ipod could not be updated, an unknown error occurred (9)” That was followed by a windows vista warning “USB device not recognized”
    The new replacement ipod touch was also fried.
    The tech gave me yet another new ipod touch. He had never encountered such a problem and advised me delete and reinstall itunes and call the APL CARE 800 support number and go over the problem with one of their techs who have a broad range of experience in dealing with possible PC related issues.
    As my other ipod has no problem syncing from the same laptop (Dell Inspiron 1520 using Vista) I am wondering if the problem might be a corrupted Itunes software problem
    Has anyone heard of a bad itunes software related problem? I googled this and could find no info. Thanks for your help!
  7. Meido

Meido New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have an idea, your USB seems to be putting out too much power. If you're currently plugging directly into the laptop, you can try using a USB hub instead, one of those that have to be plugged into a wall. They get their power from the wall adapter, rather than the computer's USB. The voltage should be fine. That's what my touch is plugged into.

Of course, this involves risking yet another ipod touch.

You can also get a multimeter to tell you just how much power your computer's USB's are outputting. My laptop's are about 5.25 volts, my hub is 5.17. That's about normal.
  8. JAD

JAD New Member

That sounds worth a try. Did you use the same ipod cable all three times?
  9. awesome761

awesome761 Banned

• Irrelevant/off-topic posts
    That sucks bad!
  10. B2TheEYo

B2TheEYo New Member

That's rather funny! I own an Inspiron 1520 laptop, it's my baby and main PC! I have no troubles with the USB what so ever. Maybe this is an issue you'll have to resolve with Dell, give them a call if your system is still in warranty (although if you didn't splurge for the extra warranties at purchase, your computers warranty may be expired).

It may have a faulty chip or driver causing the issue, as it seems now that it may very well be sending too much power through those pipelines. =P

Reinstall iTunes and you're USB controller drivers etc. You can get the drivers from the CD supplied with your system, or you can download a likely updated version from support.dell.com.