Help the newbie :)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ilky, Aug 10, 2008.

1. ilky

ilky New Member

Hello there...I have just found out about that forum and I have a couple of questions. For starters, I own my iPod Touch (8gigs) for over 10-11 months, but i have never tried to modify it. I was afraid of it getting bricked or something. Now I decided to do that "jailbreak". So I have a couple of questions. They may be asked many times before, but lets hope I wont be a "intruder" and at least some of them be answered, if someone find time to do it

Please Register or Log in to view images

Just want to add that I am a compleate noob and don`t know nothing about that procedure

So here we go :
    1. Does it worth it to "jailbreak" your iPod ?! I mean, what will I get when Jailbreak it ?! Because I just want games and cool stuff to amaze my friends and when I get bored in the bus, to play with it (other apps, like dictionaries and some kind of cheating devises

for school would be useful too) . I want things/apps that I will enjoy in my free time. Will I have that if my iPod is Jailbroken ?

2. Is there some risk of total brick, so that my iPod stop working at all and it isn`t able to be fixed. And lets say I made the whole process correct - is there a chance some bugs and errors to appear ?! I meant with the common things (watching Videos, Photos, with the Music, or even Youtube). Will I be able to fully restore it if I mess up?
    3. If we accept that I am jailbreaking my Touch, which version is the best choice to use? And will I have to update the iPod, for example on 2.0.0 to jailbreak it with "iPod touch Firmware 2.0" ?! Just for info - I am with 1.1.4 version atm.
    4. Will I need to downgrade or format the device when jailbreaking?
    5. Will I be able to manually add apps on the iPod ?! And, I know this will sound a little "epic phail" and Im sorry for that, but where I can dl some, coz I really cant afford to buy

6. Will I need to update the firmwear and then do the jailbreaking procedure again, every time when a new version is out ?!
    7. I think thats all

If there is anything I need to know before I "hack" the iPod, please tell

I will be glad if some of you guys help me with information. I will really appreciate it

And sorry for my bad English

2. pandaman2300

pandaman2300 Banned

okay
    1. It is totally worth it. You will get installer and be able to get many fun apps.
    2. The chance of a total brick is very unlikely. and if you do brick it, google is your friend.
    3. 1.1.4 is by far the best. keep it.
    4. No
    5. You will, but you wont need to. You will get installer and then just use google to find repos.
    6. Yes
    7. Use ZIPhone for 1.1.4 http://www.ziphone.org/
  3. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

1) Yes, it is 100% worth it to jailbreak. You can get games, entertaining apps, helpful applications, etc. A lot of things that you are imagining.

2) No, no risk of total brick at all.

3) Jailbreak 2.0 or 2.0.1. It's the most community supported and it's fairly simple.

4) Well, you will need to restore to the custom 2.0 or 2.0.1 firmware that is jailbroken. But you don't need to downgrade or reformat.

5) Yes, there is a file transfer method called SSH in which you can directly read and access your iPod's filesystems. You can PM me for where to get cracked App Store apps if you really need to.

6) No, you can stay on whatever firmware you want. If you decide that you want to upgrade, then you will need to jailbreak again.

Come on, who's resume looks better here? One who can spell and answer question in full sentences, or someone who uses one word answers and is wrong on almost every level?
  4. msudude1885@aim.com

msudude1885@aim.com New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    1-6 are right, but don't use ziphone. It probably will brick you ipod. Use iliberty for 1.1.4 and if you upgrade to 2.0 use pwnage
  5. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

Good one, idiot. Why don't you go learn some more totally false things from sleepers.
  6. mlbplayer456_is_back

mlbplayer456_is_back New Member

To SSH
    -On Cydia Download OpenSSH

-Now download and install CuteFTP from here

-Once done installing slide to unlock your ipod

-Now open CuteFTP and Click File>New>SFTP(SSH2)Site

-The Label can be whatever you want
    Host Address: Is your iPod's IP Address which can be found on your ipod: Settings>Wi-Fi>[YOUR NETWORK] and the IP will be there.

Username: the default username is---root

Password: the default password is---alpine

-Click OK then once it saves there will be two tabs on the top right called Local Drives and Site Manager. Go to Site Manager and double click the SFTP site you made. If a message comes up click yes and the other message that says do you want to add the key to the disk or whatever click yes also.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To add applications

-Have an applications handy. It will be in a folder called whatever.app you can download one here it is a quick respring tool.

-Then in CuteFTP login to your iPod. Then go to Local Drives, wherever the app is drag it over and wait until it is done transferring.

-Now open the Application's Folder and highlight all files (if there are folders don't do them) and press Alt+Enter and where it says permissions change them to 755. If there are folders in the Application go in to them where the files are and change them to 755 unless you are told otherwise.

-You can also change permissions by executing commands through a program called putty (if you would like a tutorial on that just say so) what you do is enter this kind of a command:
    chmod 755 /Applications/Installer.app/info.plist

After all of that Reboot your ipod and there you go. (if you like the respring tool you can use it to respring instead of reboot after using cuteFTP).
  7. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

He still needs to jailbreak first.... and those directions could be totally wrong if he chooses the sh*tty firmware that is 1.1.x.
  8. pandaman2300

pandaman2300 Banned

yeah, hey dumbf***. what you said agreed with most of what i said. jesus christ go kill a kitten while your trying to make some one who is trying to help, look bad.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    oh and 2.0? sucks balls
    no apps on cydia, installer super buggy
    god learn to be right ya dumbf***
    oh yeah, and what exactly did i say that was wrong
    thank you
  9. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

I was talking to msudude1885 who seems to think ZiPhone bricks iPod all the time. The iPod does not even have a bootloader that's accessible through ZiPhone, and the RAM disk that supposedly gets fried never even reaches near 30 MB during peak phase. iPod and iPhone are (through software) unable to be bricked.

2.0 is THE sh*t. Winterboard f***ing owns your sh*tty ass Summerboard, and it is more supported by the community! Come on, there is a post a minute in the 2.0.x jailbreak forum, whereas there is a post a day in the 1.1.4, hell even 1.1.x! jailbreak sections.

Installer does suck, I'll admit that, but 1.1.4 is no longer being supported by NullRiver and RiP Dev, so you're stuck with the same old installer for 1.1.x forever. 2.0 will be getting constant updates, bug fixes, more and more apps, and more support by people leaving 1.1.x behind. In a short while, there will be just as many apps as 1.1.x, and the same great apps from 1.1.x made possible on 2.0 because of great porters like Zod, gojohnnyboi, iptm, saurik, MxWeas, etc.

Besides, Cydia on 2.0 is UNIMAGINABLE compared to any installer version ever. I love it so much. Terminal control, command line utilities, deain APT packaging, support for developers, and the AppLoad utility. It's everything you could want in a 3rd party distro software.

god learn to be right ya dumbf***
  10. ilky

ilky New Member

Woo thx for all the fast replys. I am little confused, but I`ll wait until tomorrow to collect more opinions.