Help Request From Programming Newbie...

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by IrishGypsy, Aug 27, 2009.

1. IrishGypsy

IrishGypsy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi all,

I'm currently trying to design a unique navigation e-reader application that I plan on selling on the app store, BUT, whilst I've coded quite a bit of HTML before in notepad, I'm a complete and utter newbie to the world of Obj-C.

I've bought the book Coca Programming for MAC OS X by Aaron Hillegass (recommended to me), the Iphone Dev Cookbook and downloaded the Programming coca for MAC Dummies guide.

To ground myself in the basics (as best I can), and as I learn better visually and via doing things (rather than simply by reading), I've tried following a couple of relevent YT tutorials:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hhYCw76L6A
    and...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBnPfAtswgw

I *think* I've started to grasp the point of creating the rootViewController first (in the 2nd YT link, it was a Nav Bar VC), then adding new VC's, creating a 'class' for each and the bit that I'm struggling to understand is the background wiring stuff to link it all together. (The tying the screens in Xcode/IB to allow the pages to flow properly).

I'm trying - initally - to create a basic NavBarRootController, with a tableViewController for the 'Main Page', with a second tableViewController for the 2nd page of options, leading to the actual text required on a basic scrollable textViewController.

Following the YT videos have been ok, but I've come across several things in my XCode (latest version running on Mac 10.5.7) that don't seem to behave the same (unable to change a views height/width attributes for example).

If anyone can help me to understand some of the basic navigation wiring stuff in as plain english as possible (using metaphors where possible), it'd be really, really appreciated.

I'm not planning on creating an uber-fancy 3D engine or anything, just - ultimately - a very interactive text-based app.

Thanks in advance for any help and guidance provided!

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Pelaez-1

Pelaez-1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
  3. ipodmail09

ipodmail09 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    the videos you posted are great it will help alot of noobs