HELP needed upgrading to 2.1

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by Touch_Me_Gently, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Touch_Me_Gently

Touch_Me_Gently New Member

I am new to iPods and to this forum so please excuse my ignorance, I have an iPod touch running FW 1.1.5

1st: How can I tell if I have a 1st or 2nd generation iPod Touch (1g or 2g)? I won it in a raffle and it is 16 GB and has no exterior speaker or volume controls.

2nd: I would like to upgrade from FW 1.1.5 to FW 2.1, I currently have a file called:

iPod1,1_2.1_5F137_Restore

on my desktop, how do I go about installing this to upgrade the FW?

3rd: I would like to jailbreak my iPod, should this be done before or after upgrading to FW 2.1?

4th: Is there an easy tutorial on jailbreaking an iPod Touch FW 2.1 or 1.1.5 on this forum anywhere? (depending on the answer to Question 3)

Again I have searched this forum quite a bit already for these answers but you are so huge (Very Awesome Forum) and often the answers are in language above my understanding.

Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. Kornowski

Kornowski New Member

I'm not too sure how you can check what version iPod you have, but I can help with the other questions.

Firstly (assuming you're on Windows), open iTunes with your iPod plugged in, then, when it takes you to the iPod page in devices, hold Shift and click 'Restore'. Keep in mind this will erase everything on your iPod. Also, make sure you have the newest version of iTunes, version 8.

Once you've shift clicked restore, navigate to where the 2.1 FM you already have is and double click it, this will install the 2.1 FM on your iPod.

Now, once that is done (it can take a little while!) set up your iPod in iTunes as a new iPod and name it, just don't sync anything to it yet.

Now onto the Jailbreak! Search Google for 'Dev QuickPWN 2.1'. It should be on a site which is something like Dev.blog.Org or something along those lines. DL QuickPWN from there and place the .exe on hour desktop for ease. Now, make sure your iPod is plugged in and open QuickPWN. Follow the instructions on the screen, it's real simple! When it asks you to locate the FirmWare, browse to the 2.1 FM you just installed on your iPod through iTunes. Then, the set up will walk you through it.

Once it's all done, you're set! Hope this helps, Dude!

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Dloader Girl

Dloader Girl New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    As your iPod doesn't have external controls or speakers then you're on a first gen iPod - which means you can go ahead and start jailbreaking.

And then do what the person above me already said. Just be sure you don't go to www.quickpwn.com - as that is a fake site. Go to the official dev team website which url is something like dev.iphone.com or something - and get the official quickpwn 2.1 .
  4. Touch_Me_Gently

Thanks Dude, you are awesome! That is just the info I needed, I am installing FW 2.1 right now!

Just wondering if there are any negative reasons why someone wouldn't jailbreak their iPod Touch 2.1 ?
  5. Kornowski

Kornowski New Member

Heh, no worries, man!

Erm, because they don't want stuff for free? Nah, I don't know, I can't think of any.

Let me know how it goes, should only take like 10 minutes...
  6. Touch_Me_Gently

Fantastic! Thanks to both Kornowski and Dloader Girl!!! I googled blog.iphone-dev.org like you said and downloaded their Windows QuickPwn 2.1 file via ******* and followed along... super simple!

BTW I got original upgrade file: iPod1,1_2.1_5F137_Restore from another ******* site as well because I am a cheapskate (sssssshhhhh), lol I never would of guessed that simply holding down the shift key and selecting "restore" would alow me to select and install the file in iTunes 8.

I selected the new FW 2.1 file that I moments earlier installed to my phone (also copied it to the folder found in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates) and then had to hold the buttons (that was fun and weird cause I wasn't ready for it, lol no worries they give you a second chance and I had to do it twice) and installed the installer and cydia as well with no problems.

Now to go have a look at the "Brief Guide, Starter Editon--New Jailbreaker, What To Install/Do Next" found here.

So what do you guys think is worthy to install to a jailbroke iPod Touch 2.1?
  7. Bazuny

Bazuny New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I'm un jailbroken well duh im on a 2G but i find it a nuisance that i can't even do half as much as a jail broken and waiting for apps to come in the app store is torture! So... i would say yes actually I'm even thinking of buying another ipod touch 1G just to jailbreak it =P
  8. Touch_Me_Gently

Now to go update my Forum User Profile to reflect my iPod Touch FW 2.1 JAILBROKEN device BaBy... that I upgrade for FREE!!! Thanks everyone!!!
  9. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

For the record, the DevTeam site is blog.iphone-dev.org - which you would've found out if you'd googled "DevTeam" or searched the site. Or read the forums and the JB guides.
  10. Kornowski

Kornowski New Member