Help needed loading Stardict French Dictionary.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pattyadams, Oct 30, 2007.

1. pattyadams

pattyadams New Member

Hi Guys..need a bit of help. I have weDict installed on my ipod and I have installed one of the dictionaries through installer and that is working fine.

I wanted a french-english dictionary (and there wasn't one on installer) so I went to the stardict site (stardict work with weDict) found one I wanted downloaded it unzipped it etc and have 2 files .dict and .idx which I read I am supposed to put into the folder private/var/root/Library/weDict I tried to find the folder with winscp and got as far as private/var/root/Library but there was no weDict folder to put the files in.....yet weDict is definitely working on my ipod!

Could anyone please tell me where I should put these files...or where I can find the correct folder. Thanx
  2. mcquincy

mcquincy New Member

me have the same problem. the installed dict work. but me want to add a german dict from stardict and can not find wedict folder
  3. slyn4ice

slyn4ice New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Just ssh to your touch and do a "find . -name weDict"

The directory is /private/var/root/Library/weDict/ - at least that is where i find my currently installed dictionaries.
    I have another problem - i am trying to get the Jap-Eng dictionary working but the tarball i downloaded from the site has 3 files - .dz, .ifo, .idx. On the ipod touch the files are .idx, .idxc, .dict ... so i guess they have to be reformatted somehow ...
  4. slyn4ice

slyn4ice New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok, simply copying the files there doesnt work

Please Register or Log in to view images

had to try ... so, now i gotta figure out how to convert these guys ...
  5. slyn4ice

slyn4ice New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok turned out to be simpler than i thought.
    The dictionary files that are posted on the starDict site have 3 files as mentioned - .dict.dz, .idx, and a .ifo
    Out of these you need the .dict.dz and .idx.
    1. The .dict.dz file is simply a .dict file compressed with the dictd utilities library. I have a Suse 10.2 at work and simply searching for the package dictd gave me a hit and i installed it.
    If you cant find it for some reason - look here: http://www.dict.org/links.html
    If you really dont know what to do - let me know and i can send you or post the uncompressed file you need.
    2. Extract the .dict.dz by running dictzip -d xxxx.dict.dz (this will overwrite the original .dict.dz)
    3. copy the xxxxx.dict and the xxxxx.idx files in /private/var/root/Library/weDict/ directory
    4. Searches should now return hits from the newly installed dictionary.

let me know if things dont work ... I am yet to play with this as well

6. pattyadams

pattyadams New Member

Nope still not working for me. I have converted and loaded the files but when I open we dict and search for any word...I get not found!
  7. slyn4ice

slyn4ice New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I am assuming you are trying super simple searches too right

just checking - it just might not be in the dic ... also - do you have any dictionaries installed at all? do you get hits from any of the other ones?
    Last resort - did you restart the ipod? I think i had to after i installed the weDict to get it working ...
  8. pattyadams

pattyadams New Member

Thanks for your patience.
    Yes I tried "dog" with no success and then tried it in french..still no success.
    I've got the Merriam Webster dictionary installed and that works fine.
    ..and yes I tried restarting a few times .....I'm totally confused!

Im sure it's something stupid I am doing when changing the .dz file to a .dict file.........could you just go through how you did that please?

I've been using the following method for getting the .dict file form the .dz file. I found it on another forum"

After downloading a dictionary, extract. Then rename *.dict.dz to *.dict.gz, extract
  9. slyn4ice

slyn4ice New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hey,

i tried your method, renamed the dict.dz to dict.gz. Winrar recognized it, opened it but after extracting the file inside gave me an error saying the archive is corrupt. This is the same file i used so i know its not the problem. Try these guys:
    http://home.dankov.org/weDict/stardict-ef.tar.gz
    http://home.dankov.org/weDict/stardict-fe.tar.gz

both files are the original stardict files (french-english english-french) but decompressed with dictzip.

let me know if it works
  10. pattyadams

pattyadams New Member

Fantastic!!!!! Yes it did work. Thank you sooo much for your patience and perseverence!!