help! need advice about ipod warranty (prob. not the question you're expecting)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tktouch12, Aug 24, 2009.

1. tktouch12

tktouch12 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    i have an ipod touch 2nd gen. it has a ton of dust under the screen, so lets just assume, it is enough to qualify for my warranty. now, i have a best buy 3 yr. warranty, but my apple warranty expires like september 15, so the 3rd gen will just have come out. i dont live near an apple store and even if i did there would be no way to get to it being that i cant just leave and drive hours to get a new ipod. (my parents would b like wtf (even though im 17)) anyway,, i have 3 choices, which is my best option and please offer any other information that may help me make my choice.
    (i should add that im okay living with the dust for as long as needed but assume it is enough 2 get a new ipod)
    1) mail ipod in right when the new ipod comes out (which is right before my warranty expires) and hope i will get a new 3rd (but will a get a refurb or a 2nd?)??
    2) wait a while and go to best buy and hope they give me a new 3rd and hope they dont send it in and try to fix it (/give me a refurb)??
    3) go to the apple store NOW and just get a new 2nd gen???
    thanks for any advice and has anyone has experience with any of these situations?? thanks
  2. ICanHaziPod

ICanHaziPod New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I really doubt they would give you a 3rd gen after turning in your 2nd gen. When the second gen came out, they continued selling refurbished 1st gens for a while. I suggest you just send it in to apple now so you can get a new iPod as soon as possible, even though dust under the screen (to me) doesn't sound like enough for a full replacement. more like just a simple cleaning.
  3. tktouch12

tktouch12 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    your talking about the apple store?
    does anyone else know??
  4. carfreak95

carfreak95 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I think bestbuy might give you 3g for say another $50 or something.
    You can ask them.
    Otherwise,
    just get a replacement from bestbuy.
    3year warranty must be expensive, take advantage of it.
  5. ipodtouchpwns

ipodtouchpwns New Member

1. They charge you $29 to send it in, and you will always get the same model iPod you sent in. I got my 1g replaced when the 2g had been out for 8 months.
    2. Not sure about how Best buy works, but I'm assuming they'd send it off to Apple and they would replace it with another 2g refurb.
    3. This is your best option of the three. Get it replaced, then eBay it for a good amount. Then you can get the 3g.

Actually, your best overall option would be to take it to Best Buy now and complain. Who knows what you'll get.