Help my ipod touch is stuck in recover mode and wont restore

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tomvtennis, Dec 26, 2008.

1. tomvtennis

tomvtennis New Member

ok heres what happened about a couple of months ago with the release of the new ipod firmware and stuff i decided to get the new 2.0 software but i didnt pay i did the shift click thing on itunes 7.7 and downloaded the firmware well ..... back then my ipod used to be jailbroken and i decided to restore it to get the 2.0 software. i was bored today so i decided to jailbreak the thing again with ziphone and my cable got unpluged the one that was connecting my ipod to my computer (macbook). so now im left with a ipod in recovery mode that wont restore because whenever i try to restore it also wants me to update which dosent work because i hacked to get it in the first place.
    if theres anyway i could restore my ipod without updating i think i could fix it

please write back i just got an ihome for christmas i havent got to use
  2. breakkdown

breakkdown Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    you CAN'T jailbreak 2.0 firmware with ziphone.
    you must use winpwn/quickpwn on a PC, or Pwnagetool on a Mac.

Looks like you need to put your ipod into DFU mode.

1. First, Open up iTunes, plug in your iPod Touch/iPhone to the CPU's USB port. Turn on your CPU's speaker and make sure it is loud enough that you can hear it.

2. Hold down the Home button (top left for iPod Touch and top right for the iPhone with the screen facing you) and the Power button (located on the front bottom of your iPod Touch/iPhone) simutaneously, until the screen goes black and the device turns off. (past the red slider/slide to power off screen)

3. Now let go of the Power button, but continue to hold the Home button. Your iPod Touch/iPhone should have turned off and the screen should not be on.

4. After around ~10-20 seconds, you will hear a noise (beep/ding) from your CPU as if it had just recognized a new hardware device, now iTunes should recognize it in DFU mode.

5. After iTunes recognizes the iPod Touch/iPhone, let go of the Home button otherwise it will go into recovery mode and you will have to do the entire DFU process over again.

6. You will know when you have put your iPod Touch/iPhone correctly into DFU mode when the display is blank and that you do not have anything on your device.

And you are done, now you can install any iPod Touch/iPhone firmware on to your device via the iTunes SHIFT recovery method.
  3. tomvtennis

tomvtennis New Member

ok now by pressing apple alt shift it let me restore to factorey settings but in the middle of the restore i get error 20