Help! Music Won't Show Up on iPod

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mark178, Oct 7, 2008.

1. mark178

mark178 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    My music or videos do not show up on my ipod. They will show up and play in itunes but will not show up when i click music on the touch.
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    You must select what music you would like to sync to your iPod in iTunes. Otherwise, you can manually manage your music and drag and drop items to your iPod.
  3. mark178

mark178 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    the music is already on my ipod. it just wont show up on my ipod when i click on the music icon. itunes shows the music on my ipod already.
  4. ScareCrow87

ScareCrow87 New Member

I am having the exact same problem. It's been working fine until today. However, now the music shows up in ITunes but according to the IPod (Touch), nothing there. I even tried removing all music via ITunes and then put just a few cds on. Again, everything looks fine in ITunes, and will even play from the IPod through ITunes, but when I go to the Touch itself it says "No Music". I have a lot of apps, some with a lot of data (To Do lists, etc.) and I'm REALLY hoping I don't have to do a full Restore.

Anyone get this figured out?
  5. yippie4yu

yippie4yu New Member

Possibly

edit
    This is for an iPod Classic. Sorry if this doesn't help you out

If you are using a Windows OS computer, what you can do to get all of your music off of your iPod is go to My Computer->"Your iPod"->(enable hidden folders and iPod_Control should pop up)->iPod_Control->Music and then inside that folder will be a bunch of folders labeled F0-F50 (give or take a couple). These folders hold all of your music. Yes, when you open a folder it might not have something in them, or it might have a file with four random letters. These letters are a sort of language to iTunes therefore iTunes knows which songs are which and who is the artist and so on.

So to get your music off of you iPod, copy all of these F0-F50 folders somewhere onto your Hard Drive, or if you have an external, use that instead so not as to take up your space. Since your iPod has all of your music that is in your iTunes, it is okay for you to delete the music that is in the iTunes program. (you can still keep the original files for safekeeping if you want). Moving the "F#" folders will take roughly 30-40 min (based on my experience with around 20GB of music from my iPod). Then you can move the "F#" folders into iTunes and iTunes will start organizing your music once more.

As for the music not showing up on your iPod, I just recently fixed my own. I had the same problem. Here's the steps I took:

1. Go into your iPod from My Computer same as last time.
    2. There should be a file that you haven't really noticed before named. ".metadata_never_index" Copy this to your desktop, and delete it from your iPod.
    3. Go to the "F#" folders under the iPod_Control->Music folder
    4. Remember those files with all the letters, start deleting them from the folders, but NOT the folders themselves.
    5. After deleting all the files close My Computer go to iTunes and add your music back.
    6. Add your music back artist by artist, as for some reason when you try to add a whole bunch, it just messes up for some reason.

Enjoy.

Please Register or Log in to view images

If iTunes freezes on a certain song, you might have to restart your computer because when it does freeze it stops the syncing process and you'll have to go through the steps again.

Hope this helps you guys out.
  6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I added mp3s from media player to my ipod

so when I plug in my ipod it shows that I put the music from media player in to a music folder, but when I go through my lists (albums/music/etc.) it doesn't show the songs that I synced to the ipod...it did all the conversions & those that didn't convert weren't added...I want to know how to view it on my ipod or is it just a lost cause? So far none of the songs have come up in the shuffle play so where are they located to play them on my ipod?
  7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Add a new playlist. My ipod was doing the same thing but if you add a new playlist via itunes then wait for your library to update on your ipod then remove it the music should show up, I had to try it twice, but its working now
  8. mothermoy

mothermoy Guest

absolutly spot on

I was having the same problem, added a playlist, and bam music back! The force is strong in this one!!!! thanks gain
  9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

It worked.

Okay, so the new playlist idea worked, i have an Ipod Touch 3G. The same thing happened, all music gone on itouch, but appearing in itunes. I backed up my files from Iphone Browser as a failsafe. But soon as i added a new playlist, synced for 5 seconds, opened up music, all of the songs came back.
    Thank you

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thank you

I figured I was going to have to send it in for repair. That was the oddest thing to see the files on the itouch when looking in itunes but not directly on the itouch. Thank you for posting this fix, don't ask me why but it worked perfectly first try!
    Alice Pattinson likes this.