Help moving iTunes andTouch to new computer

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ATHiker95, Sep 19, 2010.

1. ATHiker95

ATHiker95 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm switching from Windows to an iMac. I've got my iTunes library consolidated on an external hard drive.

I had read somewhere that when I first start up my new iMac, that I should open up iTunes on the new computer, go into Preferences and make sure "Copy music to iTunes Library" and "Keep Library Organized" are checked and then close iTune and then move the entire iTunes folder out of ~Music and onto the desktop. I should then move my iTunes folder from the external into the ~Music folder on the new Mac. Then I can trash the folder that is sitting on the desktop. Will that work? Or is there some other way I should be doing it?

Secondly, when I plug in my 2nd generation iPod Touch (currently running version 3.0)into the new iTunes on the Mac, what is going to happen? How do I keep what is currently on my Touch from disappearing? Will it ask me to upgrade to 4.1? (I'm assuming it will and I'm assuming I should?)

Thanks,
    Mark
  2. GazaIan

GazaIan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    iTunes for OS X usually copies its Music to a dedicated Music folder, Move all songs to iTunes from the external hard drive to iTunes by Dragging and Dropping , and Open Finder by clicking on the nice little face in the dock all the way to the left, then click "Music" in the sidebar, then navigate to iTunes/iTunes Media/Music and see if all your songs are there.
  3. ATHiker95

ATHiker95 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    To GazaIan: I read your comment and I can understand that most music when downloaded to the new computer would go into the OS X's Music folder (and then is copied over to the iTunes folder if that is the way you have iTunes preferences set up). However, if you have iTunes preferences set up to copy music into it's own folder, then you can go back and delete the music in the Music folder as it is just another copy. That is my understanding anyway, so I'm not sure why the method I outlined wouldn't work, as my external would have all the music in the ~Music/iTunes Media/Music already and once copied over, it would be like you had gone back into the ~Music folder and deleted all that music (even though you hadn't actually had to do that). Does that make sense?

Also - by copying the entire folder over, that should bring my apps,movies,etc over, I believe.

Thanks,
    Mark