Help Me With My Crashed Ipod

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jello811, Sep 9, 2010.

1. jello811

jello811 New Member

Info: 2nd Gen Ipod Touch, 32GB, Model MB, was running 3.1.3 with redsn0w

Now this is probably a case that is rarely heard of... my ipod touch crashed while in SAFE MODE!!! Maybe because i had 300+ applications on my jailbroken ipod, so you can say "I got what was coming to me" and whatever else, but I'd prefer help. My ipod crased in safe mode several weeks ago, and I really didn't decide to fix it until last week. I have restored crashed ipods many times... I can't count how many... but this time just seems to be different, and I'm assuming that is because it crashed while in safe mode, which has never happened before. Now, I've tried putting it in DFU mode so I can restore it. I will get the message where it says my Ipod needs to be restored, so I click restore and update, I downloaded 4.1 a couple of days ago, but when my Ipod is on the screen where it has the apple symbol and the loading bar underneath it , the loading bar stays empty, and Itunes keeps saying on top 'Waiting for Ipod...'. Now I'm not being to impatient with my Ipod. After waiting a while, I either unplug my Ipod from the computer or force restart it, and instantly a message comes up saying 'The Ipod could not be restored. An unknown error occured (9).' I've have repeated this several times. I have even tried running blackra1n to see if that would do anything, and that doesn't work. So can someone please help me here, either tell me if they have ever crashed their Ipod in safe mode, or giving me directions on what to do.
  2. cypherpunk

cypherpunk New Member

You haven't made it clear exactly what sort of state your device is in. Are you in a reboot loop? Are you stuck booting into safe mode? Are you stuck in recovery mode?

The number of applications you had has no bearing on anything; the crash was almost certainly caused by something you'd installed while jailbroken, most likely a Mobilesubstrate or Winterboard extension.

Anyway...

This is the problem. DFU mode restore can take a while, but obviously if you disconnect your device halfway through the restore is going to error out.
    Why are you putting it in DFU anyway, does a recovery mode restore not work? If so, what error do you get?

Try doing a restore in both recovery and DFU modes, each time leaving it overnight to complete. If it still fails on both attempts, then (and only then) can you start thinking about it being a hardware problem.
  3. applefail

applefail Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    dont unplug your iPod while its restoring