Help me with a hard drive please...

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by Tman47, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    okay so i bought an old power mac g4 off ebay for about $40, the description said it had a 40gb hard drive, 1gb ram, dvd etc.. with panther preinstalled. I got the mac and all was good, except it was a 4gb hard drive not a 40gb. the seller apologized and sent a 80gb hard drive in replacement for the 4gb. he said panther was preinstalled on the 80gb hard drive but it wasnt. when i have this hard drive in the computer a flashing finder/question mark icon comes up and it does not boot. i have a copy of osx tiger and i put that in the dvd drive (ive tried leopard too) but for some reason the machine itself, no matter what hard drive, will never boot from the dvd or cd. i try holding c, or the cmd key, but nothing. How can i format this hard drive? or better yet fix it, and if thats not possible. is there a way of transferring all the data (including the OS) from the 4gb hard drive to the 80gb one?

Also i forgot to add, that i have a old windows machine, and when i put the 80gb hard drive in that and try to boot from that, it says theres no operating system installed, in addition to that, ive tried booting my xp disc so that i could format the hard drive, but i always get a random error and the disc cant boot. its not the disc or the drive, because that works fine with the 4gb hard drive with panther and the other original hard drive from my windows machine. so if anyone could help me, thatd be great. thanks!
  2. atomicmufin

atomicmufin Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    format the drive in windows, and install an OS to it.

if you cant boot from it, theres a problem.

sorry tho, cant help with the mac part.
  3. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Ehh... That's what happens when you buy things off of eBay, from my point of view.

Try emailing the person back again and ask them what to do with it.
  4. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    Are there any pins in the back of the drive like for Master or Slave drive set up?
  5. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    they already said that for software problems i should contact apple...
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    in the drive itself? no, i have a couple cables, and one of them has a master and slave side...
  6. kevin1st

kevin1st Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    can u install both drives in he comp and boot off the 4 gb so teh 80 gig is another drive???

if u can install carbon copy cloner(its free) and copy the 4gb to teh 80. then u can boot off of the 80. hope that helps if u want a longer description tellm e
  7. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    That machine is way too old for Apple to help you with. Also make sure that Leopard will even run on it. I think it has to be over 887mhz or whatever.

I'm guessing you have never seen the pins in back of a drive. Look up Master or Slave configuration settings from one of the drive makers and you will see what I mean. Has nothing to do with cable. They are little plastic pieces that go over the little pins in the connector in tha back to set them up properly.
  8. sotaku22

sotaku22 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Do install leopard legitimately you need 867 Mhz to install or you can use command prompt to fake out the installer to make it think it is 867 Mhz during the install process and then it switches back (only recommended for 800 Mhz processors though). What type of mac? You should be able to make the 80GB hard drive a secondary drive and boot off of 4 GB. Just pop em both in configure with disk utility.
  9. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    thats the problem i dont know how to have both of them in at once... if i took out the dvd drive and just put the 80gb in place of that would it recognize it?

Also if worse comes to worse my xp boot disc can format the 80gb hard drive, however that would make it ntfs, and mac wouldnt recognize it... would it?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I just did what i said above, and both hard drives show up

Please Register or Log in to view images

so now i went into disk utility, and im restoring my 4gb onto my 80gb