Help Me Uograde

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by Kornowski, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Kornowski

Kornowski New Member

At the moment, I have 1.1.4 Jailbroken on my iPod. I want to upgrade and JB to 2.1 but I have a few things I need to sort out first.

I just recently reformatted my computer, so I don't think I have any of the Firmwares on my computer. I know that before I DL the 2.1 Firmware through iTunes, I need to restore, right? But what do I restore to if I don't have any of the Firmwares on my computer?

So, once and IF I get that done, I run iTunes, DL the new 2.1 Firmware and run QuickPwn 2.1 right, and that's it?

Thanks!
  2. iPTF_BROWSER

iPTF_BROWSER Active Member

Device:
    HTC One
    You restore to 2.1 and then run QuickPwn and voila!
  3. Kornowski

Kornowski New Member

Where do I get 2.1 from though, don't you have to install it through iTunes. But, before I do that, I need to un-jailbreak my iPod, right?

In the guide it doesn't say anything about holding Power and Home buttons, it just says to run QuickPwn?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Bump

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Please do NOT bump threads - it's against the rules and is grounds for an infraction, which here means a ban. You can get 2.1 via iTunes, and you don't have to unjailbreak to install 2.1 if you're doing a restore or upgrade.

You have to have 2.1 installed before you can QuickPWN it - it's just like iLiberty or the old jailbreak programs; it doesn't put 2.1 or whatever firmware on there, but jailbreaks the existing one.

If it's not in iTunes, you'll have to buy Firmware 2.x as it was a paid upgrade like 1.1.x was if you had a factory-fresh iPod pre-January 2008. It will upgrade to firmware 2.1 for free if your iPod has Firmware 2.x already on it, though.
  5. Kornowski

Kornowski New Member

Ok, sorry about the bump, I didn't know that. My bad!

Ok, so buy the 2.1 firmware and restore it to that, then run QuickPWN, got it!

I heard all this talk about holding the power button and pressing the home button. Whats that? Or does it not matter?

Thanks a lot for the replies.
  6. Blaze_Blaster

Blaze_Blaster Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    that just puts it into recovery mode/ dfu mode so it can accept code from quickpwn
  7. iPTF_BROWSER

iPTF_BROWSER Active Member

Device:
    HTC One
    When you hold the power button and home button it forces the iPod to shut down. There are different kinds of things you can do after that. There is recovery mode which is where it tells you to plug in to iTunes.

Recovery Mode:

Shut down your iPod normally.

Then plug it in to your computer and hold the home button down.

Your iPod will be in Recovery Mode within 10 seconds.

DFU Mode

Hold down the Power and home Button for 7 seconds.

Then let go of the Power button while remaining hold on the Home button.

Then within 20-30 seconds your iPod will be recognized by iTunes, your iPod screen will be black when in DFU mode and DFU mode is only for emergencies or for complex jailbreaking. So it is not needed to often.
  8. Kornowski

Kornowski New Member

thanks!

Do I need to do either of them to restore it or jailbreak it?
  9. Dloader Girl

Dloader Girl New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Run QuickPwn and there will be specific instructions on what to do. It will guide you step by step on getting your iPod into DFU mode - so you don't have to worry about it.
  10. Kornowski

Kornowski New Member

Excellent, Thanks for that!

------------------double post merged------------------
    Right, I just tried it with QuickPWN, but when it comes to holding down the home button for 30 seconds, it un-highlights and started to jailbreak with 20 seconds left... It then goes through it all and tells me that it appears to have been completed successfully.

It then rebooted, but I didn't have installer or anything on my home page... I'm just trying it again now.

Also, I seem to be having trouble connecting to my internet... I've entered my WEP Key as my password, but it still says it's unable to connect.