Help me understand the "Free" and "Other" displays in iTunes

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by thesoundsmith, Oct 23, 2009.

1. thesoundsmith

thesoundsmith New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have a 16G 2G Touch, not JB. 1.41G Audio, 4.83video, some photos and Apps. I also have a bunch (about 50) of uploaded User Manual PDFs and the same in hidden videos - via GoodReader and Folders - that are not apparently visible to Apple's software. What I don't understand is iTunes reports 6.31G Free sometimes, or some number similar with an orange Other bar (I keep changing the contents of the iPod, so I don't know if the Free with no Other is equal to Free plus Other when the orange bar shows.) Everything works fine, but I'm concerned about how much actual space is left on the drive, and what could happen if I overflow it.

(Yes I searched, did not find anything helpful...)

Why does the bar appear and disappear, and can I trust the Free display, or must I manually calculate the available from Free minus my uploads?

Thanks.
  2. Collateral

Collateral Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    You cannot "overflow" the capacity of your ipod.

A) iTunes won't let you
    B) Even if it did, it would just run out of places to wrote teh data and would end the transfer.
  3. thesoundsmith

thesoundsmith New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    iTunes won't let me, but I am not transferring via iTunes. I have overwritten data on hard disks before and corrupted the FAT. I don't know the storage setup on these units, and can envision several ways that I could damage the data by trying to put 17G into a 16G drive (yes, I know I can only fit 14-point-something gigs on the drive, I may be trying to fit 14-point-something-plus-one, and if the OS is not set up for it (because it didn't come in via iTunes) it could do harm.

Is iTunes aware of all the space used by files on my iPod that are stored via independent upload? iTunes used to have an orange 'Other' bar that (I thought) told me how much room was being used by these files. But now I have a great many of them and the iPod does not report on them. Or shows a very small number, far less than what I know is there. Thus the question...
  4. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    itunes updates the bars infrequently...try unplug, plug the ipod several times then it should update or reboot the ipod then plug it again...
    nothing will happen, it is the ipod which reports to itunes when memory is full during a copy session - then the file-copy will stop.
    the filesystem on the ipod is HFS+ - and: no nowaday devices aren't that easy to corrupt

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. thesoundsmith

thesoundsmith New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks, ZhuZhi778. That's a useful answer. So I can relax.