Help me! Super Ubuntu noob!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Alanthelan, May 14, 2008.

1. Alanthelan

Alanthelan New Member

Today I have installed Ubuntu 8.04, aka Hardy Heron. I like it, but I do not really know the operating system because I was a Windows user all my life, pity me! Well anyway, I'm a little confused and can someone please tell me some good addons and where/how can I get Beryl and Wine. Thank you for your help

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. dima the great

dima the great New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ok to get any application all you have to do is click the "Applications" tab on the very top left and in there click on "Add/Remove Applications" (the bottom one) and there will be a box where you can choose what you want to search for and choose "All available software" and then simply search for Wine and Beryl.

Wine is really easy to use all you have to do is download a compatible .exe file (there's a whole website which show you what programs are compatible just google it) and open it with Wine and it will install just like in Windows.

Hope that didn't sound too confusing

3. CCBalla10

CCBalla10 New Member

also as a newb....or even as an expert ubuntuforums.org has all your answers. You can literally find anything you need there through the search feature....i think last time i looked there were like 400,000 members? so someone is likely to have the same problems you may have
  4. Hazed

Hazed Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    You don't want Beryl, you want Compiz-Fusion. Compiz and Beryl merged (or fused...) to become Compiz-Fusion.

I believe Compiz-Fusion is installed in Hardy Heron by default, (At least it was in Gutsy for me) you just need to "Enable Desktop Effects" somewhere under your System settings.

To install the the Compiz-Fusion settings screen (Not installed by default), open a terminal and type:

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

Hope that helps!
  5. organerito

organerito New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yes it is installed by default. You just have to activate the graphic card drivers.
  6. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    And while you have terminal open this will install WINE for you

Code:
    sudo apt-get install wine
    And you can do this with many many applications, if you know the name of the application just put it in the command instead of wine. The aptitude package manager really is easy.
  7. Alanthelan

Alanthelan New Member

спосыба =)
  8. dima the great

dima the great New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Пожалуйста