help me narrow down between these 5 earphones.

Discussion in 'Audiophiles: Headphones, Earphones, etc.' started by semidevil, Apr 18, 2009.

1. semidevil

semidevil New Member

I just bought the ipod touch an am looking for something to replace the included apple ear buds.

Here are my choices with reasons. I am completely new to buying earphones, but from reading the forums, these are my choices so far.

Sennheiser CX 500 - a lot of people in this forum seems to like them.
    V-moda vibe - very stylish, but some reviews mentions things going wrong (i.e earphones dying prematurely, or wire unraveling).
    shure e2c - amazon.com has good reviews and some people mention this is a good company for ear phones.
    etymotic er6i - amazon has fairly good reviews, and sounds like this is a reputable company.

Personally, My first choice is the V-moda. reason is because these are just what I want in terms of looks and style. However, the thought of these breaking down soon is what scares me the most. 2nd choice would probably be etymotic or shure, and lastly would be the sennheiser.

In terms of sound quality, are these all pretty much equal? Is there one that trumps them all? any pro's and cons to each? I'm trying to find the balance between build quality(long lasting), sound quality, and also looks.

let me know what you think, or if there are any alternatives to these 4.
  2. AppleDude

AppleDude Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Out of the choices etymotic er6i there the best in the long run.
  3. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    the CX500s look alright, but don't get the V-Moda Vibes. I've seen a bunch of people saying that they break easily.
    I think Teslanaut's Vibes broke after a few days.
  4. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Depends what type of music you prefer. Etymotic Er6i claim to have a lack of bass, CX500 have too much bass to some people, and E2c's are previous generation and I haven't tried them.
  5. fast1

fast1 Banned

good point, so what kind of music are the earphones for?

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. flashcus

flashcus New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I have the CX500s. They have got a lot of bass, but for the stuff i listen to (DnB, Metal, Punk Rock) it sounds really good. And you can always change the EQ settings on your ipod

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. semidevil

semidevil New Member

I pretty much listen to everything except the heavy stuff. mostly pop, R&B, etc etc.

when listening, I do like to listen and appreciate all the stuff that's going on in the background though (i,e background instrumental, and all the subtle things). so maybe something with lots of details?
  8. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I do believe the CX500's are the most commonly recommended earphones on this website. For R&B (to me) bass is important. So that'll probably be your best choice.
  9. aaron1006

aaron1006 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    For your style of music I would recommend the CX500's has nice bass, and is also pretty detailed, on amazon you can get for around $40 with shipping, also if you do get them, make sure you burn them in, they sound muchhh better after a nice 50-100 hour pink noise burn in.
  10. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Well if you do get any of those earphones. Can I possible get the stock earphone from you? Mine is broken.