Help me fix my desktop... please!

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by rrroach, Aug 17, 2010.

1. rrroach

rrroach Well-Known Member

Thanks for reading this...

A while ago I moved an .ipa file to my desktop before I deleted it. The contents of the file are gone, but the icon for it remains. This is really ticking me off and I've searched the web for about an hour and nothing has worked.

The file has no extension. When I view it's properties, the computer tells me that the file type is "File". -__- I've tried using a program that's suppose to remove any file, but it didn't work. I tried a couple of things in Command Prompt, and they didn't work, but I'm not sure if I wrote things out.

I found this on a website: "Hi,

Recently I faced the same problem and I was wondering if you are still
    unable to delete the folder. I finally succeeded in deleting the folders by
    opening a command prompt, then used the dir /x command to get the 8.3 name of
    the directory and then used the rd command with the 8.3 name of the
    undeletable folder and it vanished! "

The file name DOES have spaces in it, but I can't rename it because my computer tells me that the file doesn't exist.

I also want to try this:

"Couple of ideas, the first you may have tried:-

Control Panel....Display....Desktop(tab)....Customize Desktop(button). Try to delete from there."

but I can't figure out how to get there in Windows Vista.

Any help is much appreciated!!

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. blessthefresh

blessthefresh Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I would just restore your computer from a backup using the Windows Vista disk, it would roll back your system and you might be able to delete it after that, i'm not quite sure though as this has never happened to me.
  3. iMikkie

iMikkie Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Recover deleted files using an external program such as tune up utilities (even ones you cannot find a trace of)
  4. thornet

thornet New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    You saying you cannot delete a file from your desktop? If so, start your computer in safe-mode and then try to delete it. You enter Safe-mode with F1-12 keys, dont know which one since it warry to computer to computer.
    Hope it helped.

Edit: sorry, i missread, but if you want to recover a file, try tuneup utilities as iMikkie named, it worked for me once!

5. rrroach

I'm in safe mode and it didn't make a difference. :\

What IS TuneUp exactly?
  6. thornet

thornet New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Tuneup is like a program to:
    *delete/clear Cache from webpages.
    *defragment your computer to make it more stable
    *Fix corrupted files (may not work, but could work)
    *Recover files deleted from recycle bin.
    *and so on...

To shorten it all up, a PC Utility program

7. rrroach

It didn't work :'( any last ideas?
  8. patpond

patpond New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ahh, Vista up to it's old tricks

Make sure you have Administrative rights.
    Did you try to drag the file to the Recycle Bin?

I poached this from another site --

This was suggested in the other thread (link above)

Right-Clicked on the file icon and in menu selected "Open with....". Selected Notepad as program to use. The PC returned the following error......."This file does not exist......would you like to create a new one?". Click on "Yes" and it gives a blank Notepad screen, where you scribbled some text and then try to save the data......which is going to do it and now you have a working file with data in it which you delete.

Or try to re-download the same .ipa file and inject it in the folder. If you can do that, then try to Delete it again.

Last thing, Task Manager. Find out where the actual file is, then open Task Manager. Find the process that's running with that file / folder and End Process. Then try to Delete
  9. rrroach

The last two things gave me hope, but I don't know if they'll work. I just tried them and also tried to use the TuneUp file shredder but nothing happened... I'll try all of these things again after I boot up next time. If it works, then @patpond is a genius; if it doesn't then anyone who helps me solve this is a real life saver
  10. jabbado

jabbado New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Can you explain that bit more? What do you mean the contents are gone - is it showing as 0 bytes in size?

What is the exact error you get when trying to delete the file - that the file doesn't exist, or that it's in use?

Try scheduling a chkdsk at boot and see if that fixes the filesystem inconsistency. Another thing to try is using Sysinternals Movefile to schedule a delete at boot. And another would be to boot from a BartPE disk and see if you can delete the file from there.