HELP: Itunes not recognizing device

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Dirtdevil, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Dirtdevil

Dirtdevil New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I have a brand new Itouch 3G (32 gig). When I first got it, plugged it into my IMac. Itunes launched and recognized the device, I set it up and downloaded apps and some of my music. No problem.

1 week later, I plug my Itouch back into my Mac and while I hear a "beep", Itunes does not recognize the device; therefore I cannot download anything to it. I'm running Itunes 9.0. For kicks, I plugged in my shuffle and Itunes recognized the device, no problem.

At work, I plugged my Itouch into my IBM computer (running Windows 2000) and while it will launch Itunes, Itunes immediately freezes and I must force-quit Itunes. I am able to launch Itunes without the Itouch connected and download apps, etc., but as soon as I plug in the Itouch, it freezes.

My Touch is not jailbroken or otherwise tampered with. Can anyone help me??

Thanks for your time.
  2. xinzhitan14

xinzhitan14 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    try putting it into DFU restore mode by holding the home button and hold button for 10seconds. Then plug into itunes and see if it can restore the firmware. if not then i would take it back to the place you bought it from
  3. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Try updating to iTunes 9.0.1 for starters and see if that helps.
  4. Dirtdevil

Dirtdevil New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I will try both suggestions. Thx.

(cannot take it back, China is a looooog way away from MI !! )
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Okay, nothing worked. Checked the Apple Troubleshooting guide and I have 1 other option (apparently they are aware of this issue)...I must remove and reinstall the Apple Mobile Device Service on my Mac OS. If this doesn't work, off to China, er uh....the local Apple store I go.

BUMMER.
  5. Dirtdevil

Dirtdevil New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Problem fixed: Tried the method suggested on Apple's website (trashing Itunes and moble apps and re-installing both, but it didn't work....actually screwed up my Itunes completely...lost my music 4500 songs, had to call the Apple rep and spent 2 hrs. online trying to retrieve my music, which we eventually did, thank God!

Please Register or Log in to view images

).

Ended up at the Apple Store Genius Bar where the guy there also had difficulty resetting my device. He plugged it into something, diagnosed whatever, and then was he able to reset it. Once he did that, it has worked flawlessly ever since!

6. 4NewHop3

4NewHop3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    the iPod touch 3G is not compatible with Windows 2000 to answer that question