Help, iPod touch stuck in DFU mode

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Ruisu, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Ruisu

Ruisu New Member

Eh well as you may have guessed I've done something rather stupid and now got myself stuck in DFU mode but want to get out of it so does anyone know how to get out of it or send me a link to a thread containing the solution.

*Edit*

Fixed that problem, but now i've came over another, springboard doesn't start instead a command line comes up with the following text -

Singleuser boot -- fsck not done
    Root device is mounted read-only

If you want to make modifications to files:
    /sbin/fsck -fy
    /sbin/mount -uw /

If you wish to boot the system:
    exit

Feb 5 20:23:40 launcher[10]: can't execute /bin/sh for single user: No such file or directory

I really want to not have to re-jailbreak as I have done loads of work in my iPod it will just be a waste of my time so if anyone is able to help me fix this problem without re-jailbreaking it will be great. Also the screen flickers now and then but thats all i know and can see.

Thanks
  2. sharkie545

sharkie545 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    im not sure maybe ssh into ure ipod and enter the commands like it says im not sure though but i would say restore and jailbreak doesnt take tht long

these i mean enter

If you want to make modifications to files:
    /sbin/fsck -fy
    /sbin/mount -uw /
  3. Ollie

Ollie New Member

Quit messing about. Restore to 1.1.3 and leave it be. Jailbreaking now - this close to the release of Apple's SDK is foolhardy. Wait 2 weeks!
  4. thatsnailguy

thatsnailguy New Member

???

same problem I feel as if there is no solution to this problem but to send it into apple but I fear that they will deny me repair considering that I have the jailbreak files still on the ipod (tried to ssh doesn't work) and when i plug it in i get (an unknown error has occured itunes cannot acces your ipod) bah i just recieved a package for me to send my ipod in and i am going to that if i do not find a solution by friday evening

EDIT: after about 5 min of inactivity ie not plugging in the power cord or connecting the usb (touch screen doesn't work) i get a load of random actions like what would see in a batch file running fast then it restart (apple symbol restart screen) and goes back to the cant exec /bin/sh for single user mssg

EDIT: I fixed IT WOOT while in the error screen follow force restore method to get your ipod in recovery mode that will erase everything but it will get you out of the error booting screen YAY
  5. Ruisu

Ruisu New Member

lol I just restored it in the end about a few days ago although it was annoying as i lost all of the apps/plugins etc i had downloaded so i spent about an hour getting them all back, oh the joys of trial and error.
  6. amandacfrey

amandacfrey New Member

I am having the same problem with my ipod but i can't get it to manually restore. i hold down the buttons and then released the sleep button...the apple logo shows up for about 5 seconds and then goes black and scrolls through the white lettering and stops with the same error message as the person above. the screen "connect to itunes" never shows up. I JUST got my iPod, somebody please tell me there is a way to fix it!!!!
  7. coolguy5567

coolguy5567 New Member

hey im having the same problem could you please tell me in depth how you fixed yours it would be greatly appreciated
  8. jackjackson

jackjackson New Member

It is very simple and will only take a few minutes:

1. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes.
    2. Hold down the “Home” button.
    3. Keeping “home” held in hold the “sleep/wake” button.
    4. Keep both held in until the apple logo shows
    5. As soon as the apple logo shows release the “sleep/wake” button.
    6. Keep the “Home” button held in until the iTunes logo and a picture of the USB lead is shown.
    7. Now release the “Home button and follow the instructions within iTunes.

http://leebialecki.wordpress.com/2008/02/12/force-restore-ipod-touchiphone/
  9. fsalazar3rd

fsalazar3rd New Member

thanks mate! this steps worked in my end!

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. blindsay

blindsay New Member

i have this some problem
    yet itunes wont recgonize my ipod. also i try to restart it by holding down the home button and sleep/wake button, but it just keeps restarting to single user mode
    how can i fix this! i would perfer not to have o restore it, but if i have to i will!
    i just want to be able listen to my beloved music!!