[help]ipod touch doesn't charge in usb hub?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sonagi, Jan 25, 2009.

1. sonagi

sonagi New Member

I wonder if anyone else has this issue ...

Attached to my laptop is a 4 port USB hub (reference photo: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RZUV9S/ref=cm_cr_mts_prod_img).

However, whenever I plug in my touch to one of the ports, my battery icon keeps flickering between the "charging" icon and the "unplugged" icon. i tried a different multi hub port and got the same results (and if i unplug the hub and just stick the ipod touch directly into the laptop, it charges fine). Anyone experience this? Anybody solve this problem?

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Matt-09

Matt-09 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    A hub doesn't supply enough power. Use a normal USB port.
  3. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You have to connect it directly to the PC, I only recently found out when I tried plugging it to a friend's USB hub, it didn't work. Remember, it has to be USB 2.0
  4. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    yeah, probably a mixture of the fact that it cant get power to it and also that its not usb 2.0 which means it isnt fast enough to supply it.
  5. jlgm25

jlgm25 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    guys, my brother has that with his macbook air. and yes i can charge with it. maybe its the cable?
  6. Colonel Ham Sandwich

Colonel Ham Sandwich New Member

The Cable is probably broken, try getting a new ne
  7. iCrap

iCrap Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    the hub isnt powered so it cant supply the full 5.5v
    it dosent matter if its usb 2 or 1 if all you want to do is charge
  8. sonagi

sonagi New Member

in terms of usb 2.0 vs usb 1.0, i have to agree with iCrap - that aspect doesn't make a difference. but before i buy the not enough power-supply argument, i wonder if there are any circuits within the hub that's connected in series rather than parallel, and as a result dropping voltage...
    also, why would the ipod flicker? Alternative Current?
  9. Deadhead

Deadhead New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I believe it's actually less of a voltage issue and more one of current starvation of the device. Yes in a parallel circuit (non-powered hub)you have the same voltage to each device, but if I remember correctiy, curent is divided across each port. So while the computer provides sufficient power, the hub is not capable of supplying the device with everything it needs. This low amperage is most likely the source of the flicker. While the device tries to charge because it gets the voltage it expects, it then fails to charge because of the amp. starvation. Low power causes weird results. After all, amperage kills people, not voltage.
  10. sonagi

sonagi New Member

well put deadhead ... so the electric potential is there, but the flow of + carriers is not. cheers mate, and you get a beer

Please Register or Log in to view images