Help Installing Cydia

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tamalsen, Oct 23, 2009.

1. tamalsen

tamalsen New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Okay, sorry if my questions are too basic, but i did browse through the forums looking for a similar issue but couldn't find one. So please help me out.
    I have a 2nd gen iPod Touch 16gb model. it was jailbroken before but today i updated from OS 2 to OS3. Right now, my OS is 3.1.2, and obviously i lost my jailbreak. I used Blackra1n to jailbreak my ipod and sure enough the Blackra1n icon was there in it. Now here is the problem, unlike old jailbreaks, cydia doesnt come pre installed,and I dont have wi fi. So is there any alternate route for me to install cydia, without any wi fi support? I am using Windows.
    Help me out please. Also, are there any custom ipsw firmwares available for the ipod 2g? Something that would have cydia , rock and/or icy installed along with the most popular packages?
  2. Utzz

Utzz New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    When you restore and jailbreak with blackra1n, you instantly lost the "afc2 service" which is what allows you to access the root directory via USB. You can add this back in one of two ways: Manually edit the .plist file located at /System/Library/Lockdown/Services.plist (which requires iFile or SSH - both not available to you atm) or you can download the "afc2add" package from Cydia (also not available to you atm).

On top of that, there does exist a program called Cyder which would allow you to install various packages but it has a pre-requisite: Cydia needs to be installed.

So far as I'm aware, you NEED Cydia (and the afc2add package) to get the ball rolling.