HELP!! I'm new to this "jailbreaking" thing and want help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BubleeShaark, Jul 1, 2009.

1. BubleeShaark

BubleeShaark Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Okay, so I have no idea what jailbreaking is, or what it does. It'd be nice if there was a sticky but anyways.

1. Is jailbreaking illegal? What are the cons?
    2. If I jailbreak, can I still use regular apps from the iTunes store?
    3. (I will refrain from asking if 3.0 is jailbreakable. I got an answer yes, but not yet. You dump your something to a USB??) Can someone help me on that one?
    4. If something goes wrong with your Jailbroken iPod, can you restore it so that it's no longer jailbroken?
    5. Where do I download free apps once it's jailbroken? Are they all free? What's the most trustable site to download from?

That's all the questions I can think of for now. I'd also ask how to jailbreak your iPod, but I trust that'll be said a thousand times once it's released.

Until then,
    BubleeShaark
  2. RoYaLx

RoYaLx Member

Device:
    HTC One
    1. No, it is not. It will void your warranty, but you can just restore. No cons if you know what you are doing.
    2. Yes
    3. That is only for the 3G. I am not too sure what that is about.
    4. Yes
    5. Are you referring to cracked applications? They are illegal. Do not discuss them here.
  3. Renegade

Renegade Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Jailbreaking is NOT illegal. It is completely legal and thousands of people have jailbroken device's.

The Cons to jailbreaking your iDevice are putting 3rd Party Applications onto your iPod Touch. Apple also allows this Via the App Store. However, They have rules for which applications get onto their store or not. Jailbreaking open's up your device farther than Apple's allowance and allows you to do things such as Theme your device, Download games, Download applications that will help you, And make your iDevice worthwhile.

Of course. You will keep everything on your iDevice, Along with adding new features and applications.

Firmware 3.0 is VERY jailbreakable. 3.1 however hasn't been released to the public yet. The Dev Team is still in the progress.

Yes. Apple will have no sign that the device was jailbroken before.

You can download applications right from Cydia. It is an applications put right onto your iDevice once you've jailbroken it. Not all of the applications are free on Cydia, BUT almost all of them are.

If you are talking about cracked app's though, We do not support them here. Talking about them at iPod Touch Fans will result in a ban.
  4. BubleeShaark

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Ooooooh thank you!

3. That's only for the 3G (iPhone right?)? Well then.. How do I jailbreak my 2G iPod? It has the 2.9821098321 (whatever it is before 3.0) update, and I plan on updating it to 3.0
    5. Okay, so jailbreaking isn't illegal, it's the cracked applications. Okay, so don't discuss those here, gotcha. So what is the point of a jailbroken iPod Touch w/o the cracked apps?

EDIT: OH!!!!! So cracked apps are the apps that are in the iTunes store, the people crack and give out for free. There are other apps that you can download though for free, and legally.
  5. RoYaLx

RoYaLx Member

Device:
    HTC One
    Customization beyond Apple's limit. Apps such as SBSettings and Winterboard are 2 great reasons to jailbreak. I personally did not jailbreak my iPhone though, it was made for productivity and does it already. I also know the risks; if something goes wrong, just DFU it.
  6. Renegade

Renegade Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Cracked Applications are applications from the App Store that your able to get ILLEGALLY for free. Jailbreaking allows you to download applications created by hundreds of people that do not have applications on the App Store. Jailbreaking your iDevice lets you do TONS of other things than just use Cracked Apps, Which you SHOULD NOT be doing at all...

So try thinking of it as...

App Store = Official Apple Approved Applications
    Jailbreaking = Unofficial applications that are still good

I agree. The #1 reason most people jailbreak is usually for theme's and customization. I also have not jailbroken my iPod Touch or My soon to be iPhone 3GS.
  7. BubleeShaark

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    cool. Can't wait for the 3.0/3.1 to be jailbreakable. Actually, I just can't wait until I get home so I can upgrade to 3.0! I wanna use that cut and paste feature

Please Register or Log in to view images

------------------double post merged------------------
    OH! *breakthrough* it's the 3G iPhones that haven't yet been jailbroken. 3G is NOT the same as 3.0 software

Please Register or Log in to view images