HELP - I think I killed my iPod, and I don't know how!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by IrishGoddess, Apr 25, 2010.

1. IrishGoddess

IrishGoddess New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Does anyone know of any particular apps that would cause the touch to crash?

Here is my tale of woe:
    Last night, getting ready for bed, I plug the iPod into the power cord, start Pandora Radio, and crawl under the covers. As I'm reading the music stops. I look down at my iPod and notice it's turned "off" with only the Apple logo showing on the screen.

I try holding the HOLD button. Nothing happens. Attempt holding the HOME button. Nothing.

I head to my laptop and try to connect it, but iTunes doesn't "see" the iPod. I close iTunes, open it back up again, check to make sure I'm on the latest version - everything I can think of when SOMETHING happened that I cannot duplicate, because when I had it hooked up to the computer, I went up to head to the loo, suddenly - the iPod was recognized by the time I got back. I restored the device, and was in the process of reloading my backup when I went to bed.

(yeah, my bad!)

By the time I woke up, iTunes had crashed right in the middle of the sync process and my iPod was - again - a brick with only the apple symbol showing.

I came here, found the instructions to put the iPod into recovery mode. That appeared to have worked, and was in the process of resetting the device when an error occurred (Error 9: This error occurs when the device unexpectedly drops off of the USB bus and communication stops. This can occur if the device is manually disconnected during the restore process. This issue can be resolved by performing USB isolation troubleshooting, using a different USB dock connector cable, trying another USB port, restoring on another computer, or by eliminating conflicts from third-party security software.) and the whole thing freezes and I get the Apple logo and nothing else.

Now, mind you - I'm not TOUCHING the iPod, or the USB cable while it's trying to restore the device. I've never had a problem with the cable and no other device has a problem with my USB ports. The battery is about dead on my iPod and I can't get the damn thing to restore.

Help... anyone....? Please?

IG
  2. m0in

m0in Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Do you have another cable you can use?
  3. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    have you tried DFU mode or recovery mode?
  4. iptman

iptman Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Take it to the apple store
  5. IrishGoddess

IrishGoddess New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    No, I don't have another cable I can use. What is DFU mode?
  6. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    A mode in which restoring is a must to exit...

Just search this on google:

(your ipods generation) dfu mode
  7. Coca Cola

Coca Cola Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Hold power and home button for exactly 10 seconds, let go of power button until iTunes recognizes iPod in recovery mode.
  8. IrishGoddess

IrishGoddess New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well, it's not the cable - just used it to load some music onto my husbands iPod, and it worked just peachy.
  9. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Wait an Apple logo showed? That just means it's rebooting. Just wait for it to boot.
  10. IrishGoddess

IrishGoddess New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Okay, when I googled it, it says that if itunes automatically detects the iPod in recovery mode, that's DFU mode.

So, I'm already there, because that's what it's doing.

Now, my device seems to be stuck in some kind of cycle, where all I get is the Apple logo for about 10 minutes, then the "connect to iTunes" logo pops up. I try to restore, I get the error message (same one every time), and the iPod goes back to black screen with the Apple logo.

*sigh*
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    It won't boot. And when I try to restore, I get that ridiculous error message and it starts all over again.