HELP! I think I just ruined my phone :[[[

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hoho12, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Hoho12

Hoho12 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    okay, so I tried jailbreaking it. Using the Tutorial above in the sticky. So I get all the way to the pineapple on the phone, but it took so long that I read to restart it and restore it. But now iTunes won't even detect it. Help me please :[[
  2. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    That part does tend to take some time, you just have to wait till its done. The program sometimes tells you to do that before its really done. I will change the tutorial to alert users of this. Now, if you follow the instruction to put the ipod into DFU or Recovery mode the computer should recognize it.
  3. Hoho12

Hoho12 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Thanks for the reply.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I fixed it, but now I'm afraid to try again. I really want to JB it. When the pineapple thing on the screen of the phone is there, it randomly vibrates and if you wait long enough, it turns off and comes back up. Also, my computer keeps reconizing the phone and opening up the picture folder. Is all this supposed to happen?

Also, if I'm on 2.2 firmware do I still have to restore? And when I do, do I set up as new or back up? Will the process be faster if I set up as new? If I do that will I be able to get all my songs/apps/videos back after I jailbreak?
  4. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Restore your iPhone to a new clean 2.2 firmware first then use Quickpwn to jailbreak the 2.2 firware and start anew with your applications... using backups can mess up your jailbreak so best to start clean each and every time you jailbreak for best results, especially if you are new to this game.

Note that if you have a 3G iPhone you may also need to use the yellowsn0w baseband unlock unless you already have a registered simcard and line.

If you have your music, videos and pictures on your pc you can just sync to get them back onto your iPhone after the jailbreak. Likewise purchased appstore apps will be on iTunes and you can sync them back on or download them again.

It's really easy and don't forget that if you mess anything up you can simply put in DFU mode, restore and start again - so no need to worry.
  5. xxhorseriderxxx

xxhorseriderxxx Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Question 1. No
    Question 2. Yes
    Question 3. New Backup
    Question 4. Yes
    Question 5. Yes, by syncin' through iTunes

The condition described above is called the SWOD (Spinning Wheel Of Death) in which the iPhone/iPod enters a boot loop. DFU will resolve this problem (it's happened to me a few times). Again though, remember to wait for the device to turn on (by itself). Once the homescreen is displayed, it's safe to use. It sounds like ya'll panicked and force restarted the iPhone. Next time, just let it do its thing =}

Good Luck!
  6. Hoho12

Hoho12 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    So what do you mean by having to unlock it? I have an AT&T simcard that they gave me when I bought this phone. Will I still have to unlock it? =\

Okay so I restore my phone, set up as new, attempt to jail break it again. So then do I sync with I iTunes to get all my songs/pictures/apps back? If not, anyone mind guided me through? Thanks guys I really appreciate it.
  7. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    What you said there is spot on. No you dont have to unlock. If you are happy with AT&T and want them as your carrier then stick with it. Unlocking is only for those that want to use T-Mobile or similar carrier with their 3G.

So get the the point that you can restore your phone. Get it to version 2.2. Then begin the jailbreak process. If when restoring iTunes wants you to set up the phone, make sure to set it up as new.

Jailbreak it, and remember not to touch it until it has resarted itself and is in normal working order. Once you have control over it again then you can exit QuickPwn and unplug it. Lastly you can re-sync it.

Your music and videos will go back on but you may have to download the apps from the app store again. Dont worry if you paid for an app the re-download will be free.
  8. Hoho12

Hoho12 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Yay! It worked. Thanks alot for your help.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Oh and its syncing my apps. I hope thats fine.
  9. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Your welcome, and its ok to sync apps. I was not sure when the last time you let it sync was so i was unsure of how many apps it had saved to the PC.