[help] how to get started programming for iPhhone/iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'Jailbroken iPod touch Application Archive' started by Millhouse13, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Millhouse13

Millhouse13 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I am looking for a good way of starting to develop my own applications for the iPhone. I don't intend on ever delivering anything to the AppStore, I'd rather develop independently (free of apple's rules for the AppStore) for the jailbroken community than for the large audience, but having to bow to its rules.

okay, so I've thought about this a lot in the last weeks, and since I got an iPod touch, I really want to develop my own programs for it. I am pretty good at picking up new things, I am considerable computer literate, but I don't have a lot of programming skills. in fact, all I know is a bit of PASCAL, and even there, I only know the basics. BUT I like challenges, I love programming in itself, and I love to learn new things. I do know that it will be hard picking up at zero, but I am willing to try it. that being said, I hope I'll prevent and immediately disarm any "boy you don't know what you're getting yourself into" comments, I am well aware of the scope of my goal. I've looked a bit around the internet, and most, if not all, tutorials expect me to have some C++, C, or objective-C skills prior to learning Cocoa. my setup: (or lack thereof):

no mac. in iPod Touch, though...I could install iATKOS, if that's fully compatible with the tools. by the way, there isn't, by chance, a fully compatible port of XCode (yes, I googled) for Windows XP or Vista?

so, basically, I am asking you how to get started from the very beginning, what to learn, how to learn, where to start, in what order to do things... the whole thing.
    so, with that in mind, please help me, I really want to pull this off.
    a wholehearted thank you in advance.

[EDIT]:sorry, just noticed minutes after posting this belongs in a completely different forum branch. sorry, could a mod please move it to the approproate section? I don't want to spam even more and double post...
  2. msudude1885@aim.com

msudude1885@aim.com New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    you can go to bloodshed.net and get a c++ compiler for windows called dev-c++ don't know about objective-c or where you could get started