Help hiding all but one icon

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sparky03, Feb 13, 2008.

1. sparky03

sparky03 New Member

Hello,

I work for a museum and we are trying to utilize the iPod Touch as a interactive tour device. While the device is perfect for this thing, unfortunately the need to hide all the apps comes into play to prevent people from checking them out and sending emails, watching YouTube, and adding unnecessary calendar dates. What we want to do is have one webclip icon on the screen that opens our ipod touch tour in safari (Prototype at: www.sjmusart.org/iphone). So far I have used Poof to narrow the icons down to Installer, Preferences, Photos, and the Webclip.

I've been reluctant about removing the Preferences and the Installer. Photos is a whole 'nother ball of wax. Does anyone know how to remove this? There is no option in Poof!

Please Register or Log in to view images

I know that I can restore Poof (which is hidden itself) by SSH and removing some code from the plist file. I need to have the iPod alway accessible by SSH via Computer to Computer network. Is this possible? In the WiFi Networks area when I select my laptop computer to computer connection and click on the blue arrow what happens when I select static IP? Will this keep the same IP address forever locked to the iPod Touch? I'm thinking I can get rid of Installer and Preferences and still be able to SSH to alter Poof into coming back, but of course I need to have a constant IP. Then there is the Photos icon issue.

What do you think, am I crazy here? Any other recommendations?

Thanks for all your help in advance. I know it is a big request and hopefully someone will have some answers.

sparky03
  2. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Sounds to me like Customize is exactly what you need. In it, it allows you to make every application invisible.

However, since you want a web-app on the desktop, I am guessing that you are on 1.1.3. Customize needs 1.1.2, so if you want to use it, you should downgrade then use this website to make the web-app into an application: http://www.jonsthoughtsoneverything.com/iphone_apper/

Hope this helps!
  3. sparky03

sparky03 New Member

So here is my question. Would I still be able to have the additional apps, i.e. Mail, Maps, etc. if I am running 1.1.2? Also, can the Customize App. be hidden and if so how would I get it back?

Thanks for your help.

Anyone else have thoughts on my original idea? I'm still really curious about how the "Static" tab in the Advanced area of the WiFi network works.

Sparky03
  4. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yup, you can still get all of those applications.

And yes, you can hide Customize itself with Customize. To get it back, you just need to start it up by SSH.

By assigning a static IP to your iPod, it will always have that IP.
  5. sparky03

sparky03 New Member

Just to confirm, Customize will hide the "Photos" icon? Thats been a sticky one for me with the way I've been doing it.

Thanks!
  6. ipodtouch1234

ipodtouch1234 Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    yes it will. It can hide it all. You could hide them by deleting them though.
  7. sparky03

sparky03 New Member

So if I have all my icons removed and I am connecting via SSH to a static ip on the
    Touch is there a way that I can guarantee that I can always connect via wifi to start up Customize. It seems that if there is another wifi signal that is available besides my computer to computer network then if might be problematic to connect via SSH. Is there a way to connect over USB? Would I need to use Terminal?

Thanks all for you help!