help fixing iPhone 3G. pc doesn't recognize?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stemoy, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Stemoy

Stemoy Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I got an iPhone from a bud that broke it. That being said, I gotta say it was a deal (FREE). But the screen is broken, lcd and glass both, which I will order and do myself, I've already taken that much apart. But what confuses me is that my computers won't recognize it and I can't charge it on my wall plug. What other parts could be broken and how can I tell for sure it's broken too? Or, what's the best and cheapest repair place? thanks.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. brendanm

brendanm New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Maybe there is some dock connector damage, or possible hardware damage, the battery and main-board/CPU?
  3. Stemoy

Stemoy Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    So do you think I should just send it to a repair shop and have them assess it for me then?
  4. brendanm

brendanm New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Your best bet would be to get the screen fixed, and then call Apple and pretend this problem just randomly happened, and the fact your screen was completely screwed had nothing to do with it.. Apple just might assess the situation for you, and repair it, probably at a cost where it's a 3G.
  5. Stemoy

Stemoy Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Even though it is old and out of warranty? I'll do this if it would work though. Would apples 200 $ out of warranty thing apply here? I take it in and get a refurb in exchange?
  6. brendanm

brendanm New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    It might, you never know. But MAKE SURE YOU REPLACE THE SCREENS FIRST. You'll be better off if it looks like a natural hardware failure and that no physical damage contributed to the over-all damage that's being shown...

So, fix the screens, call Apple and go from there. You can keep posting here and we can work together on this, other users might chip in their two cents too!
  7. Stemoy

Stemoy Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Alright, if I don't find anywhere that will fix it for cheap enough I'll try that.
  8. brendanm

brendanm New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Who would you trust more, some random on the streets or Apple who created the device in the first place? I'm sorry, but I'd send my device, and money to Apple... Much more promised service. I think they have a warranty with their service too!
  9. Achy9

Achy9 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    If they do an exchange, go for it. I'd say it's worth it. Assuming you have AT&T, it shouldn't be a problem.
    If they offer to fix it for over $150 though, just go ahead and add more money and get a new iPhone.