HELP: Error (5) Itunes. Information ASAP PLEASE

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by blackknite123, Nov 6, 2008.

1. blackknite123

blackknite123 New Member

hey everyone im a new member but ive been searching all day for this thing...haha i started off wanting to play some pokemon for literally like an hour or so but instead ive found that ive spent about 5 hours just trying to get my first step done...
    aight so ive been trying to download this 2.1 firmware to my computer so i can use the (option+RESTORE) method of updating my ipod touch. i have no idea what ive been doing wrong because each time, it prepares itself in itunes, and then after about a minute, it sends a message saying "unknown error occurred (5)".
    ive tried so many methods...whether its going through Ziphone or trying to update on another persons computer. im desperate and all i want to do is get this thing to work. if someone can give me as many, many, many answers as possible please do cause i havent seen anything new...please help!?!!
  2. iPTF_BROWSER

iPTF_BROWSER Active Member

Device:
    HTC One
    Double post.
  3. fyvel

fyvel Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    try not to post the same question twice.....
  4. blackknite123

blackknite123 New Member

aight my bad...can anyone post some help and advice?
  5. fyvel

fyvel Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    try putting it in dfu mode....
  6. blackknite123

blackknite123 New Member

ive tried that so many times its ridiculous...one post i read said that if i see the apple sign then i did it wrong but every single time i do the process the apple sign comes up and then the itunes sign with the little plug.
    i dont know if im doing it completely wrong or if my ipod touch is just not working?
    i saw another post about ziphone (i used this jailbreak software but its off of my ipod) and it talked about how its basically the worst installer. i dont know if thats a factor but i know its done permanent damage to ipods...
    any suggestions cause ive tried DFU mode serveral times
  7. CANUCKLE HEAD

CANUCKLE HEAD New Member

sounds like one of the many itunes error messages i used to get jailbreaking my ipod. If you're using windows, try using quickpwn 2.1 (google search it) as it jailbreaks your ipod without having to restore the custom firmware through itunes, bypassing it and your error message. I was able to jailbreak my ipod using that version with firmware v2.1 successfully many times. just make sure you have a copy of the v2.1 firmware and you know its location since quickpwn will ask you for the file location. It also has a very simple utility to walk you through setting your device to DFU mode. it has always worked for me 10 times out of 10. If you have any questions, shoot me a PM
  8. kixphlat

kixphlat Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    search for a day my ass. doubt that you even did search. I just googled "itunes error 5" Results 1 - 10 of about 429,000 for itunes error 5. (0.22 seconds)

your "search" = around 12hours
    my search = 0.22 seconds = 0.000061 hours

See the difference?
  9. CANUCKLE HEAD

CANUCKLE HEAD New Member

And exactly how is this supposed to help?
  10. kixphlat

kixphlat Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    if you use your brain, you will find that post VERY useful kthx