[Help] Drawing Directly to SpringBoard

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by Cutch, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Cutch

Cutch New Member

I'm trying to draw a custom volume display, basically an image and rectangles, directly on screen. Its not an app but a dynamic library to draw direct to SpringBoard.

I've looked at many sources, sample, and tutorials, but still cant figure it out. Since this is SpringBoard im guess i cant use CoreGraphics since UIKit is what SpringBoards based on.

So do i need to hook a function if so which one, and what code do i use to draw.
  2. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You can use CoreGraphics, just import it in the file. As for the methods, try looking for the method that draws the background (I'm not sure there is one, just a guess).
  3. Cutch

Cutch New Member

All right i guess that makes sense but i guess that doesn't matter if either can draw, and i'm not doing anything fancy.

Im more interested in the drawing part, do i have to grab a view from SpringBoard. Im able to grab the window from VolumeControlView can i work with that. Or can i somehow layer a view over SpringBoard.
  4. Freerunnering

Freerunnering Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    If you can override the default vulome display window i'd try working on drawing into that?
  5. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You can use the volume display, if not, add your own subview and draw on that.
  6. Cutch

Cutch New Member

Thx for all the help really cleared some stuff up.

After having some problem with loading images from paths i figured this out:
    Code:
    image = [[UIImage imageWithContentsOfFile:@"path"] retain];
    And ended up adding an imageview as a subview to _contentLayer from SBUIController.
    Code:
    MSHook(id, overrideinit, SBUIController *self, SEL sel) {
        self = _init(self, sel);
        if (self != nil)
            UIView *&_contentLayer(MSHookIvar<UIView *>(self, "_contentLayer"));
    Problem Solved

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Are you releasing that image at all? If not, then you are leaking like crazy. You should try to avoid retaining any variables when making SpringBoard plugins.
  8. Cutch

Cutch New Member

Ya i am, the image is in constant use anyways, so i don't think leaking will be a problem