[HELP] DFU Mode w/o Home Buttons

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0 Jailbreak' started by Avatarv, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Avatarv

This may be the wrong section to post this, but...

My home button does not work - it is jammed in, and repairing it myself is not an option because I'd probably screw something up if I take my iPod apart. I am running 3.0 beta 2 (legitimately, as part of ADC), and it is unjailbroken. However, I know that there is an app called iHome which simulates the home button through touchscreen gestures, and thus I decided to jailbreak my iPod (1G). However, my problem is that to jailbreak requires an entry into DFU mode, which requires use of the home button. So my question is...

Is there any way in the 3.0 FWs to enter DFU mode without pressing the buttons? Downgrading to 2.2.1 also requires DFU mode so I need to know in order to really use my iPod at this point.
  2. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

I lol'd hard
  3. EMH

EMH Active Member

Well, I really don't know what to tell you about DFU.
    But why not try taking it to an Apple Store? I'm sure someone there could quickly fix it, if it's not permanent. Even if you would have to pay a little to have it sent somewhere to get it fixed, I would do it if it were me.
  4. impulse29

impulse29 New Member

I remember jailbreaking on a pc a while ago and it put the iPod touch into dfu mode using an application (I believe it was java...) That might be your best bet. Sorry I can't help more, but from what I recall, it is possible!

EDIT: I found this... Might help if you're using a pc:
    http://limitededitioniphone.com/how-to-put-the-iphone-into-dfu-mode/
  5. Ipod Touch Fanatic

Ipod Touch Fanatic New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    your link works great thanks... though i had to search what i could see on google
  6. igeoffrey

igeoffrey Member

Device:
    iPad
    you dont need dfu to downgrade do you? can you just plug it in and hit restore normally? its not jb'ed or anything
  7. Avatarv

Unfortunately if you just hit restore without going into DFU mode it errors out because it realizes that you are trying to restore to a firmware version lower than 3.0. Additionally, even if I go into restore mode, which even QuickPWN can do for me, if I go back to 2.2.1 I still have the same issue - no home button, no way to get to DFU mode.

I never realized how vital one stupid button could be until now, LOL.

As far as the link, it's getting blocked by the site for me, but I think I found the site it is referring to via Google, and the download only puts me in normal restore mode, while QuickPWN requires DFU mode.
  8. igeoffrey

igeoffrey Member

Device:
    iPad
    any updates
  9. Pyroball

Pyroball New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    First download Veencey from Cydia, then follow this guide. It's a guide on how to control your iDevice through a your USB cable.

This is copied+pasted from bananas
    You can press the power button on your device, and "home" through your computer

Controls:

Left-Click: Tap/Touch
    Right-Click: Home
  10. Protocol7

Protocol7 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I'm sorry, it appears that he doesn't have a jailbreak. Please read the entirety of the original post.