Help! DFU Issues - Can they be hardware related, etc?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by smagin, May 22, 2009.

1. smagin

smagin New Member

Hi,

I recently grabbed a locked/non-jailbroken 2G iPhone off eBay. It had battery replaced recently. It powers up fine and I am able to see it in iTunes (recognizes name and serial, no software rev or capacity show up though). It allows me to restore (restore mode) successfully to 2.0.2, 2.1 and 2.2.1 so far. Once it does, it bounces the phone and come back in iTunes compaining of no sim, but ready to go. I have a TMobile sim, and am looking to unlock/jailbreak it so I can use it with my TMobile.

I have tried WinPwn and QuickPwn. All go well until the DFU portion. I am not an idiot and can count. It will not enter DFU mode, only restore mode so I get the appropriate errors in those programs about wrong mode. I have seen suggestions about services (telnet, apple mobile, messenger, etc) being started. I have used the programs which help you count, show which buttons to press and when. I am VERY computer literate and can count, but this procedure simply is not working.

The phone gets to the emergency call screen and can power off with the slider. I am frustrated that maybe I am up against something else, like a hardware issue. I have tried the DFU mode, I have tried dfu.exe and several other things, none work.

Anyone with real suggestions? I have been trying this counting stuff prob 100 tmies over 3 days. Its not gonna happen. If you post "hold home for 5 secs, both for 10 secds, etc" I will prob blast you, not because you arent trying to help but you cant read. I've tried that stuff. I'm looking for what else can hinder that process from working, as there must be some other factor causing this issue where it only wants to go into the restore (usb cable/itunes logo). I know I am not the only one whos come up against this. I have also tried removing my iTunes 8.1.1 install along with all apple apps (itunes helper, bonjour, apple updates, etc) and reinstalling. I've tried 3 different PCs and diferent USB ports on all. I tried with and without a USB hub. Seems ilke I've covered the bases and now I believe it must be something else.

Thanks for any constructive help you can suggest (other than counting more, Ive done that ad nauseum). Yeah, I know, the 10 seconds has to be exact.
  2. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    Have you run Yellowsnow yet? Also what is the highest firmware you have installed? Mac, WIndows< Which OS?
  3. smagin

smagin New Member

I have not tried YellowSnow. I have tried this on 3 PCs (Vista Ult, XP SP2, SP3). Using iTunes I've restored 2.0.2, 2.1, 2.2.1. I cant crack any of them though because of the DFU issue.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Does YellowSn0w work with 2G phones too? Or just 3G? And isnt that a softmod, which means I would need to have the phone working already?
  4. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

First off YellowSn0w is only for 3G's; there is no need to use it on the 2G's.

Do a factory restore to 2.2.1 and try the whole process over again.

When you are trying to get it into DFU; is the phone still connected to your computer?

Lastly, if nothing else works you might be able to try restoring to a custom firmware created by Pwnage Tool (but it's only available for Macs).
  5. smagin

smagin New Member

I have tried the factory restore to 2.02, 2.1, 2.2.1 about 20 times now. It's crazy. Yes, I'm trying to DFU with the phone attached via USB, as the instructions say.

I will have to track down a Mac to try Pwnage.

Thanks.
  6. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

Wish I had a better answer for you; I'd keep trying and see what you can get it to do.

It might be something internal with the iPhone but hopefully not.