Help! Can't upgrade firmware...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ottoapiu, Apr 17, 2009.

1. ottoapiu

ottoapiu New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi all,
    I've been lurking the forum for a while, but this is my first post.
    I'm a fresh owner of an 8gb Ipod Touch 2g. A while ago I tried to jailbreak, nad in fact tried every single method posted on this board with absolutely no success. I end each and every time with a 1604 error. Note I'm doing this on 2 separare notebook, trying every usb port of each. Then, the last day, I remembered my ipod was still running firmware 2.1.1, so I tought that could be the problem wit jailbreaking. Well, to make the story short, in the last two days I tried to upgrade the official firmware to 2.2.1 at least 10 times, and in fact I couldn't. This time the error code is 1601, but the result is always the same: i need to do the iboot recovery procedure... I even restored the Ipod to factory defaults (loosing a lot of video I made myself...).
    The only info I oculd find is there could be some problem with usb voltage not sufficient, but it really seems strange to me.
    Oh, on a side note, on one of my pc, every time I connect the ipod touch, itunes (better: applemobiledeviceservice) crashes. Reinstalling didn't do any well.

Any chance somebody could help?

Thank you in advance!

ottoapiu
  2. yasha613

yasha613 New Member

I had some major issues with my PC (laptop) as well, nearly all of the newer ones have multiple USB ports on them, and as such use an internal hub, which seems to be hit or miss even with just doing normal itunes base firmware updates, let alone jailbreaking with various apps. I had them all fail at least once, even redsn0w .3. Luckily, on mine at least it is hit or miss, so it does work eventually after a couple or so tries, it's just annoying.

If you've tried them all already, the only other thing I can advise is perhaps taking it to a friends house with a desktop, or at least a different computer to try with.
  3. ottoapiu

ottoapiu New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thank you yasha.
    I eventually solved the issued trying another pc (the third one). What fooled me was the fact I was perfectly able to synchronize the ipod via itunes on the other two pc, so it seemed strange the usb port was the problem, which in fact was... I'm more and more amazed...
  4. MasterHacker

MasterHacker New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Download the official 2.2.1 firmware from google. Then put your iPod into DFU mode. Open iTunes, press the shift button on your keyboard, then click restore at the same time. Browse for the 2.2.1 firmware then double click on it. There you go! Hopefully you won't get anymore errors.
  5. yasha613

yasha613 New Member

Ya, I don't quite get the actual reason why myself to be perfectly honest, aside from controller chip differences. If they follow the same standards, have the same constant voltage....Doesn't make any real sense from the limited understanding I have of what exactly is going on.
    I'd love to know the actual technical reasoning why it fubar's on some controllers.

I know mine is still funky because of this. And that's after trying multiple times to get it to even work in the first place. I get random reboot-crashes once every couple of days that sometimes hangs on rebooting and would drain the battery all the way if left unchecked, other times it crashes to the white LLB patching screen and hangs, others it simply gives it's wtf?-see-ya! crash and doesn't even attempt to boot back up.

All because I'm stuck with one real PC (USB controller) to use for this. Probably have to suck it up one day and drop by a relatives house to re-do this again. Should be good then.