HELP! Can't uninstall AMDS, iTunes requires a newer AMDS version

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by YoMommaSoFat, Jul 8, 2010.

1. YoMommaSoFat

YoMommaSoFat New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    About a week ago, my desktop computer on Windows XP SP2 started to have a few problems because it had very little free space left on drive C (<5 MB). Then, a few days later, an error box popped up in my Windows log in screen saying that Windows will log you on with a temporary user because there is not enough system resources available to load the saved profile. I think this error was related to the fact that I had very little disk space left.

I discovered that my "My Music" files, mainly the iTunes music files, were taking up more than half of my disk space. So, I deleted iTunes from the Control Panel and deleted the "My Music" folder without backing it up or making a copy of it. I know that was stupid, but I have an explanation later...

I followed Apple's guide on uninstalling iTunes and related software. It says to uninstall the programs in the following order:
    I did all of that until I got up to Apple Mobile Device Support (AMDS) in #4. When I press Uninstall in Add or Remove Programs, it gives me the error "Fatal error during installation". I also tried the other method of uninstalling, by clicking Change and then Uninstall. I even tried repairing AMDS through the Change button but that wouldn't uninstall it either. I gave up and went on to uninstall Bonjour and Application Support, both successfully.

I went on Apple's website on Firefox and downloaded the latest version of iTunes, ran the setup, and got everything installed. When I opened it up, the iTunes library screen stayed at the page where it teaches you how to add music to your library, etc. I proceeded to plug in my jailbroken 3.1.2 Blackra1n iPod touch 2G, but iTunes said something along the lines of "iTunes requires a newer version of Apple Mobile Device Support." My iTunes before all of these problems occurred was not on the latest version, so I think the version of AMDS I have is not in correspondence with my iTunes version. Obviously, the first thing I thought about doing was uninstalling iTunes and related software (including AMDS) and reinstalling iTunes fresh from the Apple website. But I tried uninstalling AMDS again and it still gives me the "Fatal error during installation" method.

What do I do now?

P.S.: I mentioned earlier that I deleted the "My Music" folder, which contained roughly 4 GB of media. Not all of library was on the My Music folder, since I downloaded music from other sources besides iTunes and placed them in a folder in Drive D. I think the music in "My Music" was only the media purchased from iTunes. Anyway, when you delete files, it goes to your Recycle Bin first, not out of your system, right? But when I double clicked on my Recycle Bin desktop shortcut, it showed the hourglass next to my cursor for two seconds, and then it disappeared. Recycle Bin never opened. When I open my C:\RECYCLER folder, nothing is in there. So, if I manage to somehow restore my Recycle Bin, the "My Music" folder may be there. Anyone know how to get Recycle Bin back, in my situation?

P.S. #2: All my music, apps, pictures, video, etc. from my last sync before these problems are still on my iPod touch, if that helps at all. I'm afraid I will never be able to update the media on my iPod again

Please Register or Log in to view images

Thank you so much for the help!
  2. kevuk09

kevuk09 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    lot of reading, all i suggest is restore the pc to a earlier time before these errors.
  3. YoMommaSoFat

YoMommaSoFat New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Would restoring also restore back my My Music folder? And what if my system restore point is before the latest sync on my iPod? What would happen to the new songs that I added on that sync?
  4. iKeirNez

iKeirNez Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I donĀ“t know maybe. Get Piriform Recuva and try to recover it
  5. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    In your concern for iPod Media, you can of course, at any time, pull the media off of your iPod via SSH. There's a bit off reorganizing to do, since it's stored very oddly on the iPod, but it can be done. Playlists will be lost, but at least the files will remain. I recommend doing that over a USB file viewer rather than an FTP. Search this site and you'll find a solution.

EDIT: Apparently you can use Sharepod to transfer media from your iDevice to your computer.
  6. YoMommaSoFat

YoMommaSoFat New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    System restore won't work because like I said, drive C had less than 5 MB of space, which is way too little for system restore to create restore points.

And if I find out what version of iTunes I was previously on, if I download that version of iTunes, would AMDS work with it?
  7. badboy.mjk

badboy.mjk New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    yup for the question and try sharepod I've used it and its pretty good