Help before jailbreaking Ipod Touch 3G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gurjeetsinghdb, Nov 13, 2009.

1. gurjeetsinghdb

gurjeetsinghdb New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hi,
    I have have purchased a new iPod Touch 3G. I want to jailbreak it. But i have some doubts. please help....

1.) I have read a tutorial for jailbreaking 8gb iPod Touch, using blackra1n here -
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259842&highlight=jailbreak ipod touch.
    Will it work with my iPod too ??

2.) If I jailbreak, will i be able to sync using iTunes & install apps from apple store ??

3.) How can I backup my iPod Touch before jailbreaking ?? Is it simply right clicking the device name in left pane of iTunes & select 'Back Up'.

4.) Since iTunes backup the iPod before every sync, won't it replace my backup made before jailbreaking with the latest one. Then how will i be able to restore my iPod to make it un-jailbreaked( in case I need it ) ??

Please Help....
    THANKS !!!!
  2. Mayfly

Mayfly New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    1. I don't know, but download blackra1n, put blackra!n.exe in the root of c:, plug your usb cable into your ipod touch, start blackra!n.exe, push make it rain and wait for your ipod to reboot before you unplug the usb cable. Then you will find a new icon in your ipod named blackra1n. Open it and push on the cydia icon to install it and I recommend installing the app called rock to, many time it is better than cydia. Then you are ready to browse around in cydia and rock installing whatever you want, have fun.

2. Yes, it will work just like before.

3. I don't know but no need to, you can always completely restore your ipod to factory default in itunes, so if you don't want to have your ipod jailbroken anymore, just restore.

4. Read 3. (I think Itunes backup apps and media only, not firmware versions.)

One more thing, remember that if you jailbreak your ipod you need a computer everytime you need to boot it. So try not to run out of batteries or turning off your ipod since you can't start it without blackra1n. If you run out of batteries and you need to start your ipod, plug your usb cable to your ipod and computer, start blackra1n, push "make it rain" and wait for your device to start up before you unplug the usb cable, now you are ready to go again. So basically everytime your Ipod is turned off you need to jailbreak it again to boot it (no apps dissapears or anything, you just need blackra1n to boot it"

Now go ahead jailbreaking your ipod, otherwise you are really missing something. An ipod without 3rd party apps is real boring.
  3. Houly

Houly New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    hmm

wouldn't it be easier just to download blackra1n then run the setup and done ?
  4. gurjeetsinghdb

gurjeetsinghdb New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hi, Thanks for your great replies........

Thanks a lot !!!!
  5. 4NewHop3

4NewHop3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    For new iPod touch/iPhone users, I (and as some other iPtF users) reccomend "Getting to know your device" before you attempt something like jailbreaking your iDevice.