Help backing up apps on computer

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by boston657, Jun 30, 2008.

1. boston657

boston657 New Member

So here is my situation. My home button completely stopped working (I made a topic about it a few weeks ago). Now I want to take my Touch in to an Apple store to see if I can get a replacement. I need to restore so they dont know it was jailbroken.

So my question is: is it possible to backup the apps on my computer so when I jailbreak a new Touch (hopefully) I can easily put all the apps back on my Touch? I've spent hours getting everything on my Touch and dont want to go through all that again. But the thing is I'm a total newb at this. I used the automatic jailbreak so my computer has nothing to do with the jailbreak of my iPod. Is there anyone kind enough to help? I searched but couldnt find anything. I really need step by step instructions.
  2. agarwal1

agarwal1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Search for the iPranks backup utility. That should work for ya.
  3. boston657

boston657 New Member

I just DLed iPranks backup and now it wants me to put in my devices IP and password. Where can I get the Touches IP address? And password for that matter.
  4. agarwal1

agarwal1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    The ip address is in your wifi settings. Just tap the chevron arrow on your connected network to reveal it. The password is "alpine" without the " ".
  5. boston657

boston657 New Member

So I just backed everything up. Now can you explain what I do if I get a new Touch?

And I really want to thank you. You are hopefully saving me hours of work
  6. agarwal1

agarwal1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    If you get a new one, just restore it through that program to get your apps back. Yeah no problem but be careful, sometimes themes and customize stuff don't come back to the way they were so you may have to redo some stuff. If you're planning on getting 2.0, I would wait if I were you to replace your ipod. If you can wait for about 2 weeks, you can get the upgrade for free but thats your decision.
  7. boston657

boston657 New Member

So with the new Touch I would just hit the "I messed up and need to bring some things back..." button? Thanks so much. Now I just need to convince the Apple store people to give me a new iPod
  8. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Can you be slightly more specific so I can make an update to the option? thanks.
  9. agarwal1

agarwal1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I was just saying that it gets a little risky to back up themes because of their large file size and customization areas. I'm not sure if your app has this problem but many of the other backup utilities I used suggested to uninstall summerboard and customize before backing up. Yours could be different but just test to make sure.

Please Register or Log in to view images