Help! Accidentally revealed Safari with Categories app when it should be restricted

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by JusTiNcReDiBLe, Jul 1, 2009.

1. JusTiNcReDiBLe

JusTiNcReDiBLe Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok here's the situation. Being a 15-year-old male with strict parents, my dad thought it would be necessary to restrict Safari from my iPod. Now, obviously this didn't do much, since there are other FREE browser apps at the App Store, which I paid a visit to and got Aquari (you HAVE to get this... search it).

I jailbroke my iPod Touch 2G about... a week ago? Since then I've gotten several packages, one of them being the Categories app which allows you to place apps in folders and removes them from the springboard. A little "glitch", I would call it, in the app allows you to see apps from a drop down menu that may or may not actually be on your springboard, such as "DemoApp" (which, as you guessed it, is for iPods on display) and "iPod" (Which is the iPod app for iPhones). I also discovered that, even though Safari is restricted on my iPod, Safari is on the list.

Feeling sneaky, I decided that if I ever wanted to use Safari I would add it with Categories and then remove it when I didn't need it anymore. So, one day I decided to take my first glance at Safari. Nothing more interesting that Aquari. When I was done, I went and removed it from Categories, however...

It appeared on my springboard after I removed it from the folder. I guessed that maybe adding it with Categories may have taken off restrictions... well it didn't.

Now the only option I have is keep it in a Categories folder and change the icon to make it look like a game. I even renamed it to "Base Defender", moved it into my "Games section" of my springboard, and toggled the text under all icons "OFF". THEN I went and got SBSettings, which allows you to hide icons. My "Base Defender" folder, including Safari, has Aquari, Cydia, apps that I got from Cydia, and a few apps that I would prefer my parents didn't see

Please Register or Log in to view images

. So I went and hid the entire folder.

Still, I'm not satisfied. The final question comes down to:

How can I completely remove Safari from my springboard without uninstalling Categories, restoring my iPod, or removing Safari from my filesystem (GASP!)? I really don't want to just hope my dad doesn't slide his finger across the status bar.
  2. DarkWrath

DarkWrath Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    just use sbsettings to hide safari from the springboard

also, the reason it appears is that the hiding system ,and categories is based on the restriction system, what you did when you removed it was to reverse the restriction settings.
  3. JusTiNcReDiBLe

JusTiNcReDiBLe Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok, but what I was asking was how, if possible, to re-restrict it. Just hiding it with SBSettings is not enough, how do I know my dad won't accidentally slide his finger over the status bar trying to switch tabs?
  4. sean.mayorga

sean.mayorga New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    entertaining story. Use poof.
  5. Kaelon

Kaelon New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Why not clear the history and everything and not use Safari at all?
  6. JusTiNcReDiBLe

JusTiNcReDiBLe Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Because my dad isn't an IDIOT. A banana could figure out that there was a history tab, and that clearing the history is an option. Just the fact that Safari is available to me is a HUGE problem, therefore your suggestion does not help me at all.

Nor does sean.mayorga's comment. READ MY F---ING POST. It says OTHER than hiding it.
  7. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Try using Lockdown. You can restrict the opening of applications, requiring a password. You could also try launching your Category via the Command line every time.
  8. JusTiNcReDiBLe

JusTiNcReDiBLe Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well, understand that I'm not trying to restrict anyone from using my iPod. I'm trying to make sure no one (in this case, my dad) sees that Safari is available to me. Obviously if he went into my settings and typed in the restrictions passcode to discover that Safari was no longer restricted, he would know that something fishy was going on.

I am not trying to hide Safari. I am trying to re-restrict it by means of the the restrictions in the settings menu.
  9. sam9s

sam9s New Member

Lock down does not work on 3.0 I presume, I would love to have an application like this one. Any alternatives.....
  10. lolwut37

lolwut37 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Settings > General > Restrictions
    Turn it off then back on and restrict safari, it should be gone again.