iOS 4.0 Help a noob prepare for upgrade/jailbreak

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by abrizz, Aug 19, 2010.

1. abrizz

abrizz New Member

Hi!
    Thanks for reading.
    I have never tried to jailbreak my ipod before and would like to. Or at least make sure that I can do it later after I upgrade to ios4. But before I go charging in I would like to prepare some so I don't end up making a mess of it all.

I have:
    iPod Touch 2G 32Gb
    Firmware is 3.1.2
    Model# begins with MB. Reading around that sometimes makes a difference and sometimes don't so I am a bit confused about that.
    iTunes version is currently 8.2.1.6

I would like to:

Upgrade the iPod to ios4. I don't know what the difference between the different versions is but I guess the higher the better.
    I would like to try Jailbreaking to see if that gives me anything useful. As I said earlier I have never tried it so don't know much about it.
    I would like to be able to reverse the Jailbreaking if it turns out it isn't for me.
    I would really like it if I didn't loose any songs or other things on my iPod while doing these things.

So my questions are these:
    1. What order should I do things? Should I Jailbreak first and then upgrade to ios4 or the other way around?
    2. If I should upgrade to ios4 first, should I do that in iTunes as normal? It only gives me the option for version 4.0.2 in that case.
    3. Should I upgrade iTunes to the latest version?
    4. I read about one needing something called SHSH to be able to reverse but I don't know where or how to find them. Are they on the computer?
    5. Can I make a backup in iTunes with an older firmware and then restore the contents to the device after I have upgraded to ios4?
    6. What type of Jailbreaking method should I use for my device? There seems to be quite a few around. Jailbreakme and redsnow being the ones talked about most but I don't understand what the difference is.
    7. Anything else I should be concerned about and know before I do this?

I understand that there are many posts like this but I just don't want to throw myself in there trying things that doesn't work leaving me with a useless device. Or being emo and posting a thread here using all caps screaming in panic about my bricked device after the fact. And then having it turned out that I am the noob who broke it.

Thanks in advance.
  2. iDestiny

iDestiny Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Do you or do you not have SHSH blobs saved for OS4.0?
    This is my very important question for you.
  3. abrizz

abrizz New Member

I have never had OS4.0 on my device. I have 3.1.2 currently and that is as high as I have had.
    I don't know what SHSH are or where they can be found so no I have none.
  4. iDestiny

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    So the only way you can jailbreak is through Redsn0w. Because Apple has stopped signing 4.0 firmware
    On iOS 4.0.2, many many Cydia applications have not been updated for compatibility!. It is widely regarded as the 'useless' iOS because the only thing that it does is patch the Jailbreakme.com exploit which allowed us to jailbreak on iOS4.0

Here is a tutorial: http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-ios-4.0.2-with-redsn0w-how-to-guide/

IMPORTANT: IF YOU UPGRADE TO 4.0.2 YOU WILL NOT EVER BE ABLE TO DOWNGRADE TO 3.1.2 EVER AGAIN, UNLESS YOU HAVE SHSH SAVED

I don't recommend you update because of the current compatibility and stability issues. I would recommend that you jailbreak on your current OS 3.1.2 using the jailbreak 'Spirit'. A tutorial for jailbreaking on OS 3.1.2 is available here:
    http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/2010/05/02/jailbreak-iphone-ipad-spirit/

Now I'll answer your questions

1) Jailbreaks are not carried over firmware versions. If you jailbreak on 3.1.2 and upgrade your firmware to 4.0.2, you lose your jailbreak. Also, with every new firmware update, Apple will patch the 'hole' I suppose used to jailbreak. Your iPod is an MB model, which means that it has an unpatchable 'hole' that lets you jailbreak almost no matter what, hence Redsn0w. Note that you cannot use a jailbreak tool for a previous OS version on 4.0.2 either.

If you still want to upgrade to Firmware 4.0.2 suggest you upgrade iTunes to the newest version first. Upgrading your iPod via iTunes will also make you lose your songs no matter what.

2) Had you saved your SHSH blobs, you would have been able to use the 'Shif+Click restore function and been able to select a downloaded .ipsw file that would have let you restore your iPod to default settings on firmware 4.0'. Currently, the only option you have is to upgrade your iPod to the latest 4.0.2

3) You will not be able to upgrade your iPod's firmware without upgrading iTunes, even if it offers you the option once you start updating it will give you an error.

4) SHSH is basically Apple's signature. Apple wants to stop jailbreaking. In order to do this, every time you want to restore or upgrade your iPod, Apple makes it so that your firmware must be signed by them. If it isn't signed, you can't upgrade or restore your iPod to the firmware you want. Every time they release a new firmware, they stop signing the old one. So iOS 4.0 is no longer signed. An SHSH blob is Apple's signature that has been captured when they were still signing the firmware. So if you have SHSH you can downgrade to the firmware signature you've captured whenever you want.

SHSH blob is unique to a device. It can be hosted on the internet. It is like any other file on your computer. It can be downloaded. Once Apple stops signing firmware, it is no longer possible to obtain the SHSH. SHSH is unique to every device though. You couldn't use anyone elses.

5) Yes. Not all the contents will be restored though. Music will be lost. And you still won't be able to downgrade your firmware without SHSH.

6) 4.0.2 - You can only use Redsn0w
    3.1.2 - Spirit, Star (jailbreakme.com) and a lot of other ones.

7) No. I think I've covered everything

Finished updating/ WAIT SOME MORE
    Jailbreaking is reversible. Like I said, whenever you update or restore your iPod you lose your jailbreak, so it's reversible.
  5. SuperMario

SuperMario Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    1.Update then jailbreak
    2.Yes
    3.Yes but I would copy your iTunes library So you can downgrade iTunes if needed.
    4.Depends if you backed then up.
    5.Yes
    6.Redsn0w
    7.First try downloading the 4.0 software and upgrade. If it doesn't work, upgrade to 4.0.2 and jailbreak. Please Backup your shsh blobs incase you need to restore in the future.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Just stay on 3.1.2 and jailbreak with Jailbreakme or spirit
  6. iRa1n

iRa1n Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Stay on 3.1.2. If your a noob at jailbreaking then 4.0 isnt for you. Not just yet anyway
  7. iDestiny

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    By the way, even if you upgrade to 4.0.2, you won't be able to grab the SHSH for that yet, because the third party software hasn't been updated for that yet.
  8. abrizz

abrizz New Member

Wow thanks for the great answers guys!

So I understand that Jailbreaking 4.0.2 isn't that great because the jailbreak apps aren't compatible.
    Jailbreaking at all might not be the best for me at the moment then like you say.

Can I still save the SHSH Blobs for my current version 3.1.2 or is that to late? How do I do that?

I can't feel like not upgrading will just give me the same problem in the future if I want to jailbreak then.
    And I would like to upgrade to ios4 so I can use the features available there.
    So my thinking is to, after reading your answers, upgrade without Jailbreaking to 4.0.2 and save the SHSH Blobs there so I can use them later when I it makes more sense to Jailbreak. Just read your response iDestiny.

Or would it be better to do as carterlee1 suggested and upgrade to 4.0 instead? I guess I will not be able to get the SHSH for that either since it is not the newest os.
  9. shortperson1026

shortperson1026 Active Member

You should just follow my guide.

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306654

But specifically for you, I reccomend doing the following:

Use blackra1n to jailbreak NOW.

Go into Cydia and hit the "make my life easier" button so it saves your SHSH files and ECID.

THEN follow the guide.
  10. iRa1n

iRa1n Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It might be too late to save your shsh for 3.1.2... if thats the case just stay on it as long as you can