Help a noob out jailbreaking for the very first time

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by laziestninja, Jul 18, 2009.

1. laziestninja

laziestninja New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hi Guys,

Can someone easily step by step explain what I need to do to jailbreak my ipod touch (original) 16gb? I have the firmware 2.2.1 and have never jailbroken this baby. I'm getting confused and conflicting information. Can I use QuickPwn with this firmware release? If not, then what? If so, where the hell do I find the firmware on my Windows XP computer cause I don't see it.

Thanks in advance.
  2. wyndwarrior

wyndwarrior Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    1. Yes, Quickpwn should do it
    2. Redsn0w 0.3
    3. C:\Users\*USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates

Be sure to enable hidden folders.
    Your welcome.
  3. ssddyakno

ssddyakno New Member

4. laziestninja

laziestninja New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks so much. I appreciate your help
  5. allantan

allantan New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I'm on a 8gb Ipod Touch 1G.. let me share with you what i went through for the last 24 hours just to get my Ipod Touch on 3.0 OS jailbroken.. Well don't get scared, it doesn't even take more than an hour to get it done.. Reason for me taking such a long time was because my Home button was broken, so i had a hard time getting into DFU mode and i trial and errored alot of times using different softwares to jailbreak..

Step 1. Either you Upgrade your firmware in Itunes for $10, or you can find the ipsw file somewhere on the internet. (Sorry, i don't think its ok to share where i got it from, but just google!!)

2. After getting your Touch upgrade to 3.0 OS through either ways above, download the redsn0w v.0.8 jailbreaking software from:

http://www.iphoneworld.ca/news/2009...phone-2g-3g-3gs-itouch-jailbreak-unlock-tool/

3. Unzip the file that you just downloaded and extract the files in it.

4. Run the redsn0w software.

5. You will be prompt to locate the location of your ipsw file which you downloaded from Step 1. After locating it, just click on Next

6. There's an option to choose whether to install both Cydia and Icy or just one of them, for me, i checked on both Cydia and Icy as this version of redsn0w, fixes the problem of Cydia crashing due to Icy. The software will then prompt you to connect your Touch (Switched Off mode) using the data cable.

7. After connecting, click next and follow the instructions on screen to force your Touch into DFU Mode.

8. Once the software detects your Touch in DFU mode, it will automatically do its magic and start to Jailbreak your Touch. Just leave your Touch as it is and once the Apple icon shows up on your screen, you have your Jailbroken Touch on 3.0 Firmware!!

Just to add on some apps i installed using Cydia following my Jailbreak:

1. OpenSSH
    2. SbSettings
    3. Close button widget (to make it easier for me to close Apps due to my broken Home button)
    4. MiM (To change the Ipod on the top left of the Touch into something else i liked)
    5. [PIRACY] for OS 3.0 ( For some reasons not supposed to be said here

Please Register or Log in to view images

)

Well that's about it for me, and i'm enjoying my jailbroken Touch on a 3.0 firmware!!

Hope this information helps!!

6. eg0tism

eg0tism New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You guys must be hopeless, if it takes you 24 hours to find/jailbreak your iPod Touch.
    Here's a hint: Google.
  7. ellakay

ellakay New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I agree. I'm pretty hopeless when it cones to these things, but it took me all of 15 minutes to jailbreak mine.
    The only problems I had were
    a) finding a version of quickpwn that would actually download
    b) realising that I had to download the .net framework to get quickpwn to work on my computer.

I had absolutely no problems with the actual jailbreaking process though. I was pretty damn pleased with myself XD
  8. AppleDude

AppleDude Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Epic. good job , now I don't have to explain all this out for him

9. calebgamb

calebgamb New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Umm someone help
    I cant find the firmware file on my vista pc
    Can someone pm where to find it?
  10. Universal Denizen

Universal Denizen Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    @caleblamb: someone did provide the location of the firmware file on vista. Please search. I have XP, else would have told you.

However, if you're in a hurry, ensure that you do not have the hidden files/folders option checked in Windows Explorer. Then search your PC for .ipsw files.

HTH.