Help a n00b girl out please?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Bellefire, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Bellefire

Bellefire New Member

Hi, I'm new, just got my iPod Touch last weekend.
    I wanna know what exactly jailbreaking is, and if it's possible for me to do it myself (and how), because I want the iPhone apps and other cool stuff. Is it worth it? Is there any threat of the iPod breaking? I'm scared I'll like, mess it up forever.
    Also, does anyone else have problems with it randomly crashing for no apparent reason? Do you think Apple will fix this with an update to something?

Sorry, lotssss of questions because I'm not all that technical.
  2. lunarlie

lunarlie Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Geek Girls Unite!

Please Register or Log in to view images

So you can look in the forums iPod Touch Jailbreak and iPod Touch Mods for help. So many threads there it's insane. If you're using a mac i can help if you need it but if you're on windows i can't. Good luck

3. Bellefire

Bellefire New Member

Oooh yay, hey girl

I did look at the thread explaining what jailbreak is and stuff but..ahh, it sounds hard and scary, I'm scared of ruining it lol.
    Maybe it's not worth it but if it's easy and doesn't affect iTunes I might try somehow. It's just risky messing with a $511 gadget O_O
    I do want like, cute backgrounds and icons and games and stuff though -_-
  4. e-m00

e-m00 New Member

If you have Windows and need help jailbreaking, I'm more than happy to guide you through it. Drop me a line on AIM/MSN; info is in my profile.
  5. lunarlie

lunarlie Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    don't worry, you can't break your ipod, i messed up the first two times i tried to jailbreak and i just restored it in itunes and now everything is great

6. Andy Huang

Andy Huang Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Jailbreak means to get out of Apple's lock and gain "full control" of the device for yourself so you can do thins Apple doesn't want you to -- for example: Add events on calendar w/o a computer, install iPhone applications, etc.

If it possible to do it yourself, check the iPod touch Jailbreak forum for the automated procedure, and follow the instruction carefully. It's quite straight forward, and you CANNOT brick (break) your iPod doing it, so don't panic if something doesn't go right. Unfortunately, it DOES void your warrenty if you let Apple find out about it... so don't call them up and ask them how to fix it if it gets stuck in the mid process or alike.

As for randomly crashing... I've only encountered that when I have too many pages open at the same time in safari, or a bad javascript running on a poorly designed webpage... haven't encountered it anywhere else. Can you explain what is the situation when it did crash for you?
  7. computer_geek_19

computer_geek_19 New Member

8. Bellefire

Bellefire New Member

It crashes every single time I try to listen to music. I click the music button and it'll bring up my albums and I scroll for 2 seconds and it crashes. Click the music button again, go into Coverflow, find the album I want, click it, get the song list, it crashes. Do the same, click a song, it plays for 1.5 seconds and crashes. EVERY SINGLE TIME I try to listen to music. At first it didn't, but after about 3 uses, it's really really bad. $511 for this and it's worthless, I can't listen to music.
    I haven't done anything fishy with the iPod at all. All I've done is add mp3s via iTunes, put a folder of pretty stockphotos, and added 6 videos that I converted from xvid to the appropriate format using Videora iPhone converter. So there's really no explained reason for it to crash everytime I want to listen to music. Should I call the Apple store I bought it from? I'm really sad about this, as anyone would be, when you buy a product like this, you just want it to successfully perform its most basic functions.
  9. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Is your iPod running the 1.1.1 update? If not, then download it (through itunes) and install it.

I don't know why you're Music is craping out on you, but if you do a restore on your iPod, it should take care of the problem.
  10. Bellefire

Bellefire New Member

Yeah I've got the latest update. I appreciate your helpful comment! I'll try restoring.
    I was reading here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5503904 ..the poster seems to be having my problem and people have told him/her to exchange their iPod. Maybe I'll have to do that if restoring doesn't work. They can't make me pay the damn restocking fees though